Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, does countersinking affect performance?
Wayne, does countersinking affect performance? [message #86705] Sun, 03 December 2017 16:41 Go to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
Hi Wayne

I had a local shop build a pair of 4pi cabinets for me, and they countersunk for both the 2226 and the 290 horn. The difference between the depths is 9mm.

It occurs to me that, if your measurements were made with the drivers mounted on a baffle without countersinking, the shift in the acoustical centers of my drivers might be an issue.

Do I have anything to worry about here?

-Ron
Re: Wayne, does countersinking affect performance? [message #86707 is a reply to message #86705] Sun, 03 December 2017 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The small offset difference is far less than 1/4λ, so there's nothing to worry about. The forward lobe shifts slightly, but it's barely a sliver - something like 2° - and the forward lobe is very tall, nearly 50° so there is no penalty whether the drivers are mounted flush or recessed into the baffle.

The tilt-back can be adjusted with stands, if you want. Stands generally have 3° to 7° tilt-back, which serves to cradle the speaker and to position the forward lobe slightly upward. You can have your stands made with whatever angle you want.

Re: Wayne, does countersinking affect performance? [message #86708 is a reply to message #86707] Sun, 03 December 2017 19:34 Go to previous message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
Thanks, Wayne!
Previous Topic: 4 pi plans
Next Topic: Duratex, how much to cover, and ratio to thin needed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:42:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio