Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Duratex, how much to cover, and ratio to thin needed
Duratex, how much to cover, and ratio to thin needed [message #86704] Sun, 03 December 2017 16:25 Go to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
Hi, I'm getting ready to order duratex for my 4pi, and have a few questions:

My goal is to have a medium texture, and to use the dark base w/tint added at one of the local paint shops.

1) To cover a pair, should I order a quart or a gallon? I'm guessing this will depend on whether one or two coats is recommended.

2) Any recommendations as far as thinning the duratex with water? Your preferred ratio?

3) Favorite roller?

Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.
Re: Duratex, how much to cover, and ratio to thin needed [message #86706 is a reply to message #86704] Sun, 03 December 2017 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always buy the gallon container as a minimum quantity, but that is more than needed for just one pair of speakers. I also always use a brush, but I've used rollers before and it's just fine. Either way, the results are the same. The texture isn't created by the roller or brush - As it cures, it will harden with the characteristic rough texture no matter how you've applied it.

I always apply several coats. I put on one coat and let sit for a day or sometimes longer. When fully dry, I apply the next coat. So this is a long process for me.

Do have plenty of ventilation. It's more important with this finish than anything else I've used. Even if you apply the stuff in a completely open area outdoors, it will still get to you. It's potent stuff.

Re: Duratex, how much to cover, and ratio to thin needed [message #86709 is a reply to message #86706] Sun, 03 December 2017 19:37 Go to previous message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
Thanks for the advice, Wayne. Didn't realize the fumes were that strong, being water-based. Good to know.
Previous Topic: Wayne, does countersinking affect performance?
Next Topic: Speaker Tweaks
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:01:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout