Home » Audio » Source » Cd player
Cd player [message #86650] Sun, 26 November 2017 11:54 Go to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I enjoy most of my music from downloads, but I have a small bit of music that I enjoy that is only available on vinyl or CD.
My old Blu-ray player no longer plays CDs, so it's time for a new one.
I always used the digital output (optical audio) to feed my DAC.

I understand there are CD transports, but I'm not sure if they are really worth the extra dollars, or if it's more snake oil LOL.

Do most of you use a regular CD player or a Blu-ray player to listen to your CDs,?
Re: Cd player [message #86651 is a reply to message #86650] Sun, 26 November 2017 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, This is sort of a loaded bunch of questions. There are two main factors as I see it though that will determine the outcome. How much do you want to pay? How particular are about getting the best quality of sound from the CDs? First though it seems odd the Blue Ray stopped playing CDs ...particularly if it still does BRDVDs OK. Possibly a cleaner disk might assist. Anyhow. I have taken two different paths on CD playing. I have a Marantz CD player (about 5 years old) that does nothing but CDs. It ran about $300 and the newer models are similar in cost. It works quite well, but as you might expect it is limited in utility. I also have an OPPO Blue Ray player (an SE model) that excels at both DVD and CD. Audio performance it top notch in the SE models and in the newest high end ones from OPPO. This is where the cost factor enters. High end players tend to be costly. The cheapest seem to run just over $500, many are much more. Mid range quality players (BRDVD and CD combo) can be had in the $200 and up range. You pretty much get what you pay for in that group. If you are not too particular you can get any number of garden variety DVD Blue ray players that do CDs as a sort of after thought. Figure on about $150 or so. Personally, unless you are really into high end stuff I would look for something in the mid range that does both BRDVD and CDs.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Cd player [message #86658 is a reply to message #86650] Sun, 26 November 2017 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Thanks Bruce.
It is starting to fail on BR and dvd too, but most frequent seems to be cd.
Perhaps it's coincidence.

I will start looking into a new BR player.
Re: Cd player [message #86982 is a reply to message #86650] Thu, 11 January 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
I am currently looking into this new device to replace my old failing Blu-ray player,

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/cx/cxuhd

I like the lack of DAC, as Im quite happy with my existing stand alone one.

Since I will be getting a new flat screen this year, the ability to play UHD might be nice.
Mainly I would use it to play regular Blu-ray, DVD, HD downloads and CD.

It's not always wise to buy a first generation design like this. It can be better to wait a couple of years for it to have proven itself and work out the bugs lol.

Any thoughts?
Re: Cd player [message #86983 is a reply to message #86982] Fri, 12 January 2018 09:47 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That unit looks great, and I think I'd give it a try. The price is right, and especially since you have a DAC already, that takes one important feature off the checklist. To me, it opens the door for more options, and I think I'd probably give that unit a try.

I have a high-end Audio Note CD player but I never use it because I personally prefer BluRay to CD by a huge margin. Where I can get BluRay media, I do. So I find myself always using my BluRay player instead of my CD player. Of course, lots of material isn't available on BluRay. And my car doesn't play BluRay discs. So I purchase my favorite material on BluRay and CD, and often vinyl too.

I also wanted my players to have good quality DAC and audio preamp components. That put Denon and Oppo on the table. But I like your approach - by keeping the DAC separate, you can choose from a number of transports without having to worry about the DAC and analog sections.

If you pull the trigger on this unit, please let us know what you think of it.

Previous Topic: Hi Res Turntable that records
Next Topic: Marantz SLT 12 / SLT 12U Questions!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:14:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio