Home » Audio » Source » What's the difference?
What's the difference? [message #86632] Fri, 24 November 2017 02:41 Go to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I have a quick question for you guys. I've never actually used (or seen...) a cassette tape player or a vinyl record player but I do hear about some people who still like to play music on them.

Is the quality the same as the CDs we have today? If not, then what is the point of having one?
Re: What's the difference? [message #86636 is a reply to message #86632] Fri, 24 November 2017 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I believe the difference is the record or tape player is an analog source.

The arguments on which is better are never ending.

Which you prefer is a matter of taste.
I think most audiophiles have both analog and digital source gear for their music.
Re: What's the difference? [message #86638 is a reply to message #86636] Fri, 24 November 2017 15:40 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe there are actually 2 questions involved here. One is either cassette or vinyl better in terms of measurable performance. Like signal to noise and response. No. In terms of sonic experience then the answer is up to the user. They are analog and do sound different. Is that better or worse than digital? Like mentioned in an earlier answer that is the subject of endless discussion. I personally prefer vinyl, but also have cassette, reel to reel tape, CD (HDCD, SACD and a few other odd formats), as well as DVD audio. I personally don't believe that the format is the key issue.....it is IMO whether or not the individual is happy with it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Is vinyl coming back?
Next Topic: CD demagnetizers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:37:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers