Home » Audio » Source » So now I'm even vacuuming!
So now I'm even vacuuming! [message #12283] Sun, 19 June 2005 19:15 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A very audible difference between washing records with alky and distilled water and using a commercial product.
I got a quart of RRL, a Shop-vac 1hp - 1gal. and an old turntable.
Cut the required slot in the length of the crevice tool and contact glued strips of the fuzzy paint pad refills along the slot.
Wiped around the RRL with an Audioquest brush (they're all the same with and w/o the brand name and range in price from $10 to $30) then vacuumed.
More of the clarity that the 10X5 cartridge brought.
Most striking effect isn't how quiet a scratchy record gets but how eerily silent an already quiet one becomes. That famous velvety blacker background
Tried the homebrew solution to make sure it wasn't just the vacuum and the RRL w/o the vacuum. The RRL is the critical ingredient but the vacuuming is a big part of it.

I have tried almost all the cleaning solutions... [message #12290 is a reply to message #12283] Mon, 27 June 2005 19:09 Go to previous message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, at least I've tried RRL, ClearAudio (Came with my matrix RCM), Disc Doctor, one other that I can't recall the name to and Nitty Gritty. I liked the ClearAudio the best but it can't be bought in the United States. A close second was the Nitty Gritty solution. RRL was way too staticy for me. Plus I wasn't to crazy about the way it just beads up and doesn't cover the entire record. The Nitty Gritty has an anti-static ingredient that really works. No static at all. I hear no difference between a record cleaned with RRL and Nitty Gritty so I use the Nitty Gritty. I am in the process of trying the "Genie in a Bottle" solution. So far nothing bad to report. I'll post if I hear something special.

Previous Topic: Cartridge alignment in SME 3009 s2 improved - I'm confused!
Next Topic: Need help understanding my Museatex BIDAT manual (Ed Meitner)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:04:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio