Home » Audio » Movies & Music » 1920s music?
1920s music? [message #86495] Tue, 07 November 2017 23:01 Go to next message
funkymusic is currently offline  funkymusic
Baron
So I recently went to Louisville and a lot of places I went to had some swanky 1920s music playing (mainly because said places were associated with F. Scott Fitzgerald). I haven't listened to much from that era, but I really dug it! Anyone have any good recommendations for music from around that time?
Re: 1920s music? [message #86522 is a reply to message #86495] Sat, 11 November 2017 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I went through a Roaring Twenties stage where I couldn't get enough of the music and movies from that era. Bill Selvin's "When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob, Bobbin' Along" and "Romona" are my favorites.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86529 is a reply to message #86495] Sun, 12 November 2017 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ha, so glad I'm not the only one! Did a sample of each of those and those sound perfect. Thank you so much for the suggestions! If you have any good movie suggestions from the era, I'd be down to hear about those too! (Especially if they have great scores!)
Re: 1920s music? [message #86534 is a reply to message #86529] Mon, 13 November 2017 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I was never into Charlie Chapman like so many others, but I still found many great films. You'll start to notice that new movies put out by the big studios today are just remakes of old films that were popular. It's incredible that the old films got their point across without tons of gore, violence, and nudity. The misogyny was worse though. I have a hard time linking on here, so I'm just naming the films. You can find each one on Amazon, Google Play, and maybe even YouTube.

Metropolis is my favorite. It's an amazing futuristic film that pits the poor working class against the wealthier city planners. It was revolutionary before Hunger Games and Snowpiercer.

The Jazz Singer is filled with father/son angst. It's worth a look. The show is dramatic, but not horror or anything wicked.

Wings is a war movie with a love triangle. It's worth a see. It's another storyline that you'll see in later movies.

Ben-Hur of course is well known, I liked it too.

That should get you started at least. Let me know what you think if you find the time to view one of these or any other 1920's movie.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86564 is a reply to message #86495] Thu, 16 November 2017 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuplia is currently offline  Fuplia
Esquire
I've been listening to this tune that I really like. It was composed very recently but is based on the sound of the 1930s, which I find to be similar to the 1920s. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSRAdi1wVW0 (Aviary Action)

In fact, the entire soundtrack where the tune comes from is pretty great.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86604 is a reply to message #86495] Sun, 19 November 2017 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Lost the Remote, thank you for all the movie suggestions! Going to check those out right now. You're so right about people being able to get the message across in a much purer fashion back then. Hollywood relies on a lot more gimmicks these days.

I love that, Fuplia! The 30s do seem to have a very similar sound, at least from the music I've encountered from that era.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86836 is a reply to message #86495] Thu, 21 December 2017 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
Have you ever checked out the site The 1920s Network? It's a radio channel that has this kind of music playing all the time and they have links to their broadcasts and let you know what they're playing.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86856 is a reply to message #86836] Sat, 23 December 2017 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Aria wrote on Thu, 21 December 2017 13:15
Have you ever checked out the site The 1920s Network? It's a radio channel that has this kind of music playing all the time and they have links to their broadcasts and let you know what they're playing.

Ah man, that is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for sharing! I wish I lived in one of the places that has this station on the local radio. But this is easily the next best thing.
Re: 1920s music? [message #86860 is a reply to message #86856] Sat, 23 December 2017 12:57 Go to previous message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
funkymusic wrote on Sat, 23 December 2017 11:30

Ah man, that is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for sharing! I wish I lived in one of the places that has this station on the local radio. But this is easily the next best thing.

No problem! I'm glad you liked it. I actually started enjoying this music because I used to live in Virginia Beach (one of the places with this station) and fell in love with it. So hopefully you'll be able to get your fix and more here! Let me know if you find any favorites.
Previous Topic: Free Christmas album Brian Setzer Orchestra
Next Topic: Top 100 countdown
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:06:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout