Home » Audio » Source » How to play smaller records? Purchase new player?
How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86493] Tue, 07 November 2017 08:47 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I've had my late father's record player and stereo system repaired and enjoy listening to his old albums. My issue is that some records are too small to fit. Do I need to purchase a different player for them?
Re: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86501 is a reply to message #86493] Wed, 08 November 2017 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That is a first on me. Never heard of a player that would not handle smaller ones. Many now will not handle some speeds (like 16.6 and 78 rpm) though. If your problem is speed....ie 45 rpm, many turntables require moving a belt from one part of a pully to another.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86521 is a reply to message #86501] Sat, 11 November 2017 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks for replying, gofar99. My sister is older than I am, so she remembers it better. Madison says we had a small record player for kids. She couldn't locate the exact model on ebay or I'd use it as my google springboard to find more info. I have some of our records which are mostly nursery rhymes. Madison thinks these worked on a standard player too, by putting something either in the center of the record or along the outside maybe.

I think she's mixing it up with a spirograph. https://www.amazon.com/Kahootz-01001-S-Spirograph-Deluxe-Design/dp/B009VE38CI
Re: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86523 is a reply to message #86521] Sat, 11 November 2017 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The records with large holes are 45 RPM singles. Yes there are adapters to make them fit a more modern turntable. Some are snap into each record (a real pain) others are a type that fits on the center of the record player and are sort of like a big plastic washer. These are pretty cheap (under $5) and are available from many sources. The first thing I would do with your new player is verify that it has the 45 RPM speed. Nearly all do. If your record player is of an automatic stack loading type the issue is a bit more difficult as you will need to find the adapter that is designed for it. This can be difficult. If it is designed to play only one record at a time you should have no problems with the adapters.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86525 is a reply to message #86493] Sun, 12 November 2017 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I remember all those types of records. Does that mean I'm getting too old for all these new things? We had the adapter that fit on the turn-table for the 45s and you must adjust the speed for 78s. Wow, I'm ancient!
Re: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player? [message #86532 is a reply to message #86525] Mon, 13 November 2017 15:58 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks for the help again! I plugged in "vinyl record adapter" into Amazon and found quite a few options, all under $5. It's on its way and I can't wait to see if it the records will still play.

You know, some of the adapters do resemble a Spirograph toy, especially when placed inside the record. And many are bright yellow too. I can see why a younger Madison would remember it the way she did.

You're not old WorkingWoman2017. You're lucky to grow up with vinyl instead of digital really. Of course, you probably just got a tiny taste of vinyl like us before the world lost its mind over cassettes.

Thanks again for the help!
Previous Topic: Will playing the records cause damage?
Next Topic: Is vinyl coming back?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:58:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout