Home » Audio » General » Can someone explain the difference between....
Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86492] Mon, 06 November 2017 16:46 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Can someone explain the difference between Audiophile and Audiophytes? I saw this term while reading on the internet and wondered what the difference is? Can anyone speak to this?
Re: Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86496 is a reply to message #86492] Tue, 07 November 2017 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funkymusic is currently offline  funkymusic
Baron
I've never heard of audiophyte before. (Seems like Google hasn't either.) So all I can give you is my guess. Since the -phyte suffix typically means something is growing, maybe it's a step above beginner but below audiophile? Or maybe it's another word for beginner. That's what I can get from -phyte and the context clues on the sites I saw it mentioned. It seems a bit of a mystery! I'm always at a loss when Urban Dictionary can't tell me about slang terms.
Re: Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86540 is a reply to message #86492] Tue, 14 November 2017 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
GoldenOldie wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 16:46
Can someone explain the difference between Audiophile and Audiophytes? I saw this term while reading on the internet and wondered what the difference is? Can anyone speak to this?

I'm just guessing here, but from what I've seen, an audiophyte is a beginner. It's someone who is new to the scene and is just starting to build their collection of vinyls, instruments, great acoustics, whatever. And they're super enthusiastic about it all. An audiophile is an expert. They've been there and done that. They have an ear for sound and can pick out the tiny differences between speakers, room acoustics, singers, etc.
Re: Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86690 is a reply to message #86540] Fri, 01 December 2017 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
Yes, I tend to agree with the definition that an audiophyte is just a beginner where as an audiophile is a more experienced person.
Re: Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86697 is a reply to message #86492] Sun, 03 December 2017 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
Am I the only one here who thinks that 'audiophile' sounds... wrong? I know I have a twisted world-view and sense of humor, but that word sounds like it describes someone I wouldn't want my kids listening to music with!
Re: Can someone explain the difference between.... [message #86715 is a reply to message #86492] Wed, 06 December 2017 11:12 Go to previous message
funkymusic is currently offline  funkymusic
Baron
That just made me laugh, Solitary. I think it's the suffix "phile". Typically, we hear it in contexts of er, some more premiscuous things. Audiophyte, on the other hand, sounds like some piece of equipment or a malfunction to me (even though I know that's not what it means).
Previous Topic: Do the gold cables really get a better sound?
Next Topic: Poolside speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:04:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout