Home » Audio » General » Independent or Chain Retailers?
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #92985 is a reply to message #92983] Thu, 21 January 2021 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I avoid Amazon as much as possible. Having a disdain for Bezos and his emperor status for his obscene wealth, monopolistic tendencies and personnel management. Big box stores are a bore to me. Going to Costco is like being in a cattle yard. No customer service, just move um in, move um out. Mom & pop's stores now more than ever are becoming extinct. E-commerce is the way to survive nowadays.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #93011 is a reply to message #92985] Sun, 24 January 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi,a curious thought process. If you don't like Amazon because of its owner, then do you by gasoline for your vehicle, or any number of other common things we all seem to use. A vast majority of such companies are run or owned by rather rich individuals. I think it is also worth recalling that Amazon started out as an online used text book seller. Bezos managed to turn it into a powerhouse company. It does tend to put small companies at a disadvantage, but so does any large company. A nearby Walmart plays havoc with small local stores. I personally find Amazon useful, especially in these times when I try to avoid contact with potentially virus sick folks. Arizona is now having a serious issue with new cases and I am in a high risk group. Having something I want delivered in a day or so is definitely to my advantage right now. Even more so is that many of the electronic components I use are available through Amazon at prices equal and sometimes lower than if I ordered them directly from my usual suppliers. Often with no cost shipping and fast delivery times. Considering that a number of such suppliers often charge a fee that is in the range of $10, plus shipping, plus sales tax buying stuff from Amazon makes good sense to me. So YMMV and I respect your right to disagree. I do agree that it was nice when there were local high end audio stores that would demonstrate quality gear. I used to frequent many of them. All are gone now and the remaining big box variants just don't fill the gap.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #93015 is a reply to message #93011] Mon, 25 January 2021 07:18 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I find it curious that we have a system in place that allows singular individuals to have the capacity to enrich themselves so obscenely. Then stoke controversy with their business practices that imply antitrust and workplace degradation. So despite that many companies with the owner, CEO or group which control it are indeed wealthy, this can't be my sole precursor to whether or not I choose to oblige my business. As it would be hard to procure much of the goods and supplies needed. But I can try to pick and choose still, (hopefully) from what availability in the marketplace there is based on my personal ethical guide.
Which can be further realized by looking in the dungeon here regarding the way our crazy economic principals practiced in our country and around the world lead to the income disparity chronic to the bulk of humanity.

Previous Topic: Listening To Nature's Music
Next Topic: Music In Your Dreams?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:50:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout