Home » Audio » Source » The Immersive Nature Of It
The Immersive Nature Of It [message #86453] Wed, 01 November 2017 11:32
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The topic of how relevant vinyl will continue to be, and the sound quality versus what is made now, will continue to be topics of interest to audiophiles. Here is a thought on that.

When albums were the main media source for music, artists would make their songs in order to fit that format. A certain amount of time was expected for both sides of a single disc as well as a double disc, so artists took that into account. They also took into account the order of the songs that were to be placed on the vinyl.

This is because vinyl records were made to be played from start to finish. This would make the listening experience a complete one. Not only would you hear the hit song, but all the other songs the artist made. In addition, you would be sitting there admiring the album art and the lyric sheet. It all made the listener immerse themselves into listening to an album, looking at the art and reading the lyrics. It was a complete art experience.

These days, you can buy a song and download it into your i-pod. Put the earbuds in and go work out to it. There are many other examples of the mobility that listening to music has become. It is no longer another form of art that you can immerse yourself in. It is now just background music for an active lifestyle. In my opinion, this diminishes the appreciation and, by extension of that, the quality of the music you are listening to.

And on that note, the way either of these formats actually sound is an extension of how we listen to our music. People say digital is clearer and, therefore, better. But think of this: If you plop down $2,000 on a high end system that is all designed around a state of the art turntable, that sound quality is going to be 10x better than if you Bluetooth your i-pod into your car that still has the factory installed speakers.

In closing, the quality of sound depends on 2 things: The setting in which you are listening to you music, and the quality of the system itself you are listening to your music through. The two, in my opinion, walk hand in hand.

Thank you for reading.

Previous Topic: Knowlege of vinyl
Next Topic: Will playing the records cause damage?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:15:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio