Home » Audio » Source » Is Mobil 1 100% safe to use with my Thorens? First hand experiences apreciated :-)
Is Mobil 1 100% safe to use with my Thorens? First hand experiences apreciated :-) [message #12259] Fri, 17 June 2005 18:03 Go to next message
Kuja is currently offline  Kuja
Esquire
Hi!

I've read many posts here regarding oil for Thorens bearings.

Majority of posters recommended Mobil 1 car engine oil.

After some more searching, I discovered that Thorens recommended Caltex Regal Oil B is still produced and that it is now named Texaco Regal R&O 46. Alas, I can't find it my country.

Regal Oil is a turbine oil. Mobil has a very similar product called Mobil DTE but the smallest package you can buy is a 20-liter barrel and I guess that the same goes for Regal Oil...

So I listened to the advices here and bought the least viscous Mobil 1 that I could find. In my case, it is 0W-30.

The Mobil 1 I got:

0W-30's viscosity of 56 cst @ 40°C is close enough to Regal Oil's 43,7 cst. 10W-30 has 62 cst, 0W-40 has 80 cst...

0W-20 is ideal with 43 cst @ 40°C, but I saw on Mobil's web site that it is discontinued now...

Before I pour Mobil 1 in, I would like to hear some first hand experiences, good or bad.

My TT is TD126 MkI. It is in my possession for twenty years and I never changed its bearing oil.

My guess is that the bearing is doing just fine for now.
It makes no noises.
Without the belt and with the outer platter back in place, I spin it vigorously and it keeps spinning for full five minutes.

If you need a procedure that you can repeat yourself (your hand spinning can be different to mine), I measured that after the point that it slows down to 33.33 rpm, the platter needs around one minute and thirty seconds to completely stop.

I guess that it's not such a bad result.

So, what is the final verdict on Mobil 1?

Is there a consensus that it is 100% safe?

My main fear comes from the additives - can they damage the TD126's bearing?

Thanks,

Aleksandar

Mobil 1 [message #12261 is a reply to message #12259] Sat, 18 June 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't know about your turntable bearings, but I know that's what I run in my car engine. It surrounds steel, aluminum and rubber with no ill effects. The nice thing about modern synthetics like Mobil 1 is that they last a long time without breakdown. The thing that makes oil changes most important is the introduction of particulates like dirt, ash and carbon, and acids and other chemicals from combustion. When they aren't used near combustion, synthetic oils tend to stay clean and effective for a long time.

Re: Is Mobil 1 100% safe to use with my Thorens? First hand experiences apreciated :-) [message #12262 is a reply to message #12259] Sat, 18 June 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I have used Mobil 1 in my TD 150 for yrs. It does not harm teflon bearing sleeves. The Linn rejects that position and recommends their silicon based oil but in my experience with a 30 yr old table it works well.

Re: Ditto for my brass bearing Ariston (nt) [message #12267 is a reply to message #12262] Sat, 18 June 2005 13:19 Go to previous message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Previous Topic: VPI Aries/9 " tonearm
Next Topic: around the last few songs, my stylus won't move on? can someone help?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 07:11:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio