Home » Audio » Source » DV 10X5; 10X$$$, 5X as good
DV 10X5; 10X$$$, 5X as good [message #12256] Wed, 15 June 2005 16:55 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I paid $39 for my Grado Black which BTW shipped as a Green. It has a good bass and mid-range but gets congested as the you go up the scale and add instruments. Much like the rest of this class up to $100. You know who they are.
This is a first impression: first 2 hours.
The 10X5 immediately signals that the instruments sound like the instruments they are. Not an approximation but close to real. Voices don't offer the same clues unless you sat next to Emmy Lou for years and really know her voice. Brass, woodwinds, strings; they all have more character.Bowing, tonguing, pitch and timbre. Very impressive.
Emmy Lou's "White Shoes" album really shows off the kick-drum. Mendelsohns "Midsummer's Night Dream" LSO on London does the same for The melody line the Tuba caries in the first movement. Also an excellent portrayal of large sections like first and second violins.
Alison Krause still has an "edge" to her voice which may be real or a product of the fono (Bugle) stage 'cause it's less "edgy" with the DV than the Grado.
A good bit of the cart's good first impression is due to it's having half the output of a moving magnet: the attenuator is attenuating less. But it also handles going LOUD and the accompanying dynamic swings on un-compressed music extremely well.
I don't hear a "moving coil peak" or "presence bump" or treble edginess. Of course, the Norh SET triode EL-34's soften the top a bit I imagine.
I wonder if the Denon DL-103 is this good? At $185 plus step-up it's about as expensive. I could add a few dollars of ressitors to the Bugle and get enough gain but the noise level would rise.
I guess there's no getting around the $400 bucks it takes to get this quality.

Re: DV 10X5; 10X$$$, 5X as good [message #12258 is a reply to message #12256] Thu, 16 June 2005 01:47 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a great review/recommendation, Bill, thanks! It's making me want to get one and give it a try.

Previous Topic: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2
Next Topic: Crossfader is messed up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 22:10:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout