Home » Audio » General » What exactly is an "Audiophile"?
What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86326] Sat, 14 October 2017 17:00 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
There seems to be some confusion about the exact definition of what an Audiophile is. My opinion is that it is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. If there is some other unknown definition, I would love to hear it!
Re: What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86329 is a reply to message #86326] Sun, 15 October 2017 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's it! That's all there is to it.

Re: What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86332 is a reply to message #86326] Sun, 15 October 2017 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I am hearing about this term for the first time ever. It seems that matters audio are never exhaustive. In what context is this term used? What does an audiophile mostly deal with?
Re: What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86363 is a reply to message #86326] Sat, 21 October 2017 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frankieg is currently offline  frankieg
Chancellor
That sounds about right to me. The internet seems to agree with you as well. I had no idea that was a legitimate term and not just slang.

Moss24,I'd actually never heard the term before either. Wikipedia says that audiophiles are all about any stage of music reproduction. I don't really know what context I'd use the term in either. I'm sure someone around here will be able to give you better answers.
Re: What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86430 is a reply to message #86363] Mon, 30 October 2017 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The context the term is most used in, is when you are explaining to someone what your hobbies or interests are.

"What do you like to do for fun?"

"I'm an audiophile"

"What's that?"

And the conversation is started. The date is going somewhere. Very Happy
Re: What exactly is an "Audiophile"? [message #86434 is a reply to message #86430] Mon, 30 October 2017 12:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Audiophiles are music lovers. They're a lot like car enthusiasts.

There are many ways to express your love for cars. You might just like fine cars and buy them. Or you might get involved in a car club that has regular meetings. You might attend car shows. Maybe even present your own car in the show. Maybe race. Maybe build motors and suspensions and do chassis work. Lots of levels.

Same with audiophiles. You might just buy gear. Or maybe you build equipment from kits. Might design and build your own gear. Might go to audio shows. Might be into collecting records, tapes and/or digital media. Might present your own equipment designs at shows. Maybe get involved in measurement and comparison events. Lots of levels here too.

So to be an "audiophile" is to be someone that loves audio. There are lots of ways to do that.

Previous Topic: A little levity with all this serous talk
Next Topic: The 3D experience
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:25:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout