Home » Audio » Source » Stereo with no adjustable counterweight
Stereo with no adjustable counterweight [message #12248] Sun, 12 June 2005 21:29 Go to next message
LRP is currently offline  LRP
Esquire
Hi all,

I recently purchased an old cabinet stereo at a garage sale, and would like to be able to use it. I have leveled it; everything appears to be fine in that respect. However, the tonearm has no adjustable counterweight, and I'm therefore having a heck of a time balancing it. Does anyone know how this is done for such a machine? Thanks in advance.

Luke

P.S. Pictures are here and here. Thanks again.

Re: Stereo with no adjustable counterweight [message #12249 is a reply to message #12248] Sun, 12 June 2005 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks like a turntable with an old ceramic cartridge on a non-adjustable tone arm.

Re: Stereo with no adjustable counterweight [message #12251 is a reply to message #12249] Mon, 13 June 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LRP is currently offline  LRP
Esquire
Hi again,

Unless anyone has other suggestions, would I be correct in concluding that I should probably have a shop look at this? Thanks again.

Luke

Re: Stereo with no adjustable counterweight [message #12252 is a reply to message #12251] Mon, 13 June 2005 01:36 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It sure couldn't hurt to have the unit looked over, but if it's working there is nothing more the shop will do for you. The set-down weight of the arm is not set by counterweight. There is no adjustment that is done for a turntable like this. The only user-serviceable items are the needle and the idler wheel, so you can expect to replace them every once in a while and that's about it.

Previous Topic: BIC 80z and Voice of Music 369-2
Next Topic: Linn LP 12 Transformer/Turntable modifications
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:13:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout