Home » Audio » General » CD Players That Skip
CD Players That Skip [message #86253] Tue, 03 October 2017 10:25 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The CD player in my car will eventually skip on any CD I put in there. Will this do irreparable damage to a CD if I keep playing it on a car system that skips?
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86256 is a reply to message #86253] Tue, 03 October 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I had a CD player that would skip, every time I went over a bump. Not that I have anything against CDs but I now prefer to have my music files in a USB drive. It is less bulkier and more convenient.
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86265 is a reply to message #86253] Wed, 04 October 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frankie is currently offline  Frankie
Chancellor
My old car had a CD player that did that and I did eventually notice that my CDs were getting a lot of scratch marks. I can't say if this is 100% due to the player skipping, but I definitely have my suspicions. I ended up having to toss a bunch out.
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86271 is a reply to message #86253] Wed, 04 October 2017 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I've never had such an experience in a car before but my assumption would be that the skipping would most probably damage the CD. My current car radio has a USB port and that's what I use most of the time.
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86276 is a reply to message #86271] Wed, 04 October 2017 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Possibly, but probably not. What happens when one skips is that it has lost its place on the disk and the loss is long enough to exceed the amount of data in its buffer. Most players will actually lose there place from time to time, but have big enough buffers so you will never know it. The less costly the player the more likely it will have a small buffer. Any made more than about 5 years ago will be more prone to this happening as memory was more costly back then.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86278 is a reply to message #86253] Wed, 04 October 2017 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I hate the ones that skip in the car. I bought a better cd player and it stopped. I thought at first it was the way it was mounted so I mounted the new one really well. Don't know if that was it but it is working great now.
Re: CD Players That Skip [message #86287 is a reply to message #86276] Sat, 07 October 2017 12:41 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 04 October 2017 17:23
The less costly the player the more likely it will have a small buffer. Any made more than about 5 years ago will be more prone to this happening as memory was more costly back then.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you. Mine was a factory installed unit in a 4 year old car. I have a new CD this was happening to, but I'm not noticing any scratch marks yet.
Previous Topic: Ground Loop Noise
Next Topic: Unique ways of improving sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:07:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout