Home » Audio » Source » Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2
Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12238] Sat, 11 June 2005 19:32 Go to next message
Kuja is currently offline  Kuja
Esquire
Hi,

I have this question regarding setting up my SME 3009 improved (removable headshell version).

When I got my Thorens 126 MkI / SME 3009 some twenty years ago (those were times without the Internet) I was told by some "guru" that SME headshell was not that good and that I should do the following tweak:

I stuffed it with a small amount of some sort of black modelling putty (feels like BluTack), filling all small holes. The cartridge at that time was MM Ortofon VMS30 MkII.

I kind of remember that after this tweak, sound got warmer with slightly deeper bass. After twenty years I'm not really sure about the difference, since I never removed the putty...

Question No 1: Is this tweak valid in your opinion?

----------------------------------------------------------

Question No 2 (also related to Q No 1): I allways wondered what this really is for:

SME 3009 has this setting for cartridge weight. Why? On some other arms you only have VTF and anti-skating settings.

I used to set this to naked cartridge weight. I always checked the VTF with a small Ortofon Stylus Gauge.

Recently, I started wondering if the cartridge weight setting should also reflect added weight of spacers, screws and this putty? Should I also substract the weight of the finger lift thingy that I removed from the headshell?

The cartridge I'm using now is high output MC - Ortofon MC-1 turbo. It is only a temporay solution, since I'll receive my new Shure V15 V XMR in a few days

Thanks,

Aleksandar

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12239 is a reply to message #12238] Sat, 11 June 2005 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Putty should do no harm and as with all tweaks it may or may not help. The lateral rider adjustment is to enable you to use more massive cartridges and to exact better lateral balance of the arm.
It also splits into two sections allowing the use of much more massive carts.That rider can be positioned slightly superior to the main counterwieght, it acts sort of like the outrigger in a canoe, creating an opposing torsional force.
Really the best way to set a cartridge providing you don't have access to a scope is with the use of the Hi Fi News and RR disc. I think Music Direct still carries it but you should be able to find one on the net.
The Analog Dept. has all of the SME manuals if you would like to examine the adjustment possibilities.

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12240 is a reply to message #12239] Sun, 12 June 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Never had that arm, but you are going to love that cartridge, assuming it is compatible with the arm. Mine sounds fabulous, on a very low mass arm. I can't believe I never tried a shure before. I'm sure you checked that out before purchase. shure tells me the cart body of the V15Vxmr should last 50 years. They also tell me the stylus will be available for5 years from date of discontinuation. After a year, I bought a replacement stylus to stash away, and think I'll buy another in a year or so, and so on. I got mine for around 200, but feel it is worth the full on 325 or so retail that those that still carry it charge.

Enjoy,
Russellc

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12241 is a reply to message #12240] Sun, 12 June 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You know periodically it seems there is a siesmic shift from high mass MC to low mass MI and back again. So by the time both stylus are shot you will probably be looking to change anyway.
What I would really like to know and maybe get opinions on is two things:
Are older cartridges compromised by the aging of their suspension systems
Do re-building schemes work
Do MC's need periodic de-magnetizing

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12242 is a reply to message #12241] Sun, 12 June 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good questions...with the shure, I was told that the suspension is replaced with the stylus. Of course, this has me wondering... my replacement is ageing in my drawer! Call me paranoid, but one day I almost bought a device that allows you to inject nitrogen gas under the cork of opened wine bottles to help prevent further oxidation after opening. I was thinking that I could fill a container storing the stylus stash.
I don't know, perhaps nitrogen messes with stylus! Oh well at least I wouldn't feel so compelled to "finish off" opened bottles of port!

Cheers,
Russellc

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12244 is a reply to message #12242] Sun, 12 June 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kuja is currently offline  Kuja
Esquire
Regarding stylus suspension aging, you can check this link:

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12247 is a reply to message #12244] Sun, 12 June 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for this link. Seems to be a concensus regarding the fact that rubber ages due to ozone and hydro-carbon exposure. Has anyone ever read anything from maybe a chemical journal or possibly from a manufacturer of these compounds that gave a specific description of the aging process and how it manifests in suspension components?
I am presently using an older Empire low output MC that was stored for about 18 yrs. It tracks the HFNRR disc up to the most difficult track. I can't see any drawbacks yet; but I am still playing replaceable stuff.

Re: Question regarding setting up / tweaking of SME 3009/S2 [message #12257 is a reply to message #12247] Wed, 15 June 2005 19:01 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hmmmmm maybe the nitrogen idea isn't so crazy after all.

Russellc

Previous Topic: Bill, whats the latest on your dynavector?
Next Topic: DV 10X5; 10X$$$, 5X as good
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 11:31:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout