Home » Audio » Source » Converting vinyl
Converting vinyl [message #86083] Thu, 07 September 2017 19:43 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
The fact of the matter is that there is a lot of music (out there) that isn't available digitally. Additionally, if you already have vinyl records, there shouldn't be any need of purchasing their digital versions if there's an option of conversion. Is there a possibility that such conversion can affect quality?
Re: Converting vinyl [message #86086 is a reply to message #86083] Thu, 07 September 2017 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are lots of technical issues surrounding analog-to-digital and the reverse digital-to-analog conversions. Some are audible, others less so. Naturally, high-quality conversions give the best results, but require faster hardware and more bandwidth. Storage requirements are greater for larger higher-quality files too.

Study things like conversion types, e.g. successive-aproximation, delta-sigma, etc. And study the artifacts each can suffer from, things like aliasing, quantization error and jitter.

Re: Converting vinyl [message #86089 is a reply to message #86083] Sat, 09 September 2017 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Are there any turn tables that can do such transfers? I'd be more worried about the loss of quality through such conversions. I think the technical issues surrounding such should make anyone invest in the necessary technology.
Re: Converting vinyl [message #86093 is a reply to message #86089] Sun, 10 September 2017 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can buy USB turntables, but they are terrible. No point in talking about quality issues with something like that because they are bottom-of-the-barrel devices.

If quality is desired, use a good turntable and a computer with a good sound card; Sample the signal with a high resolution, e.g. 44K/16bits or more, and save the file in a lossless data format. Do not let the signal clip when sampling.

Re: Converting vinyl [message #86100 is a reply to message #86093] Tue, 12 September 2017 16:05 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, the lowest sampling rate I find that gives a copy that I can't consistently tell from the analog version is 24/96. This has actually become mid fi now. A lot of downloads are available in things like 24/192 to 32/384. They tend to be huge, but disk space is now cheap. I'll stick to 24/96.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Any recommendations for music players with Bluetooth?
Next Topic: Vinyl or CD, which is better?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:46:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio