Home » xyzzy » Tower » Crowdfund fail - is the tech even possible?
Crowdfund fail - is the tech even possible? [message #85973] Sun, 27 August 2017 18:22 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Another crowdfunded project has failed and it's yet another time to realize that it shouldn't be treated like a store. http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/08/26/crowdfunding-disaster-silicon-valley-startup-takes-customers-money-shuts-down/

But I wonder if the features that were selling points are even possible to pull off. Specifically is it possible for, "music that played through the earphones was supposed to change in pace and volume as the user's heart raced during a workout. Users would be able to control how much ambient sound the earphones let in -- listeners would be able to block out the outside world, or set the earphones to let them hear oncoming traffic while biking or walking."

The video reviews on YouTube said these earbuds were a disaster and I understand that. But I figured you DIYers would know if this is even possible to make happen in the first place.
Re: Crowdfund fail - is the tech even possible? [message #85992 is a reply to message #85973] Wed, 30 August 2017 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
Now I've heard it all. Earbuds that let you hear oncoming traffic? There is already a device set up for that and those devices are free of charge.

They're called ears!! Laughing

No wonder the company went belly-up.
Re: Crowdfund fail - is the tech even possible? [message #86126 is a reply to message #85973] Sat, 16 September 2017 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
This:

Leot55 wrote on Sun, 27 August 2017 18:22
"music that played through the earphones was supposed to change in pace and volume as the user's heart raced during a workout. Users would be able to control how much ambient sound the earphones let in -- listeners would be able to block out the outside world, or set the earphones to let them hear oncoming traffic while biking or walking."

I'm not a scientist or music engineer, but that "sounds" impossible. Pun intended. Critical thinking skills will tell you that your heart beat cannot change the pace or volume of sound waves. Especially if the point of origin of the music is outside of your body.
Re: Crowdfund fail - is the tech even possible? [message #86131 is a reply to message #86126] Sat, 16 September 2017 19:10 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I was surprised that so many people bought into it because it sounds like an impossible feat for one product to pull off. I didn't think the technology existed to make it possible and it doesn't sound like something that can be created in the future either.
Previous Topic: About Those Lyrics
Next Topic: Software to switch faces
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:28:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout