Home » Audio » General » Soundproofing basics
Soundproofing basics [message #85960] Sat, 26 August 2017 01:45 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
It's been said that soundproofing comes down to mass, decoupling and damping. Previously, when I had soundproofing done, the wall surfaces were fond of vibrating. How true is the assertion that the heavier the wall, the less the transmission of sound through it?
Re: Soundproofing basics [message #85964 is a reply to message #85960] Sat, 26 August 2017 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I'm not sure how to answer this.

But I can tell you, as a mason by trade, a four-inch concrete block wall is much more soundproof, than say a framed, 2x4 plus dry wall construction is.

Of course, a 4 inch concrete block wall can be difficult to keep plum, unless you stop every 3 feet or so to let it set up, then resuming construction the next day.

This solution is too slow for most construction projects in this country.

So, the obvious solution, is to use 6", or better yet 8" block, running it up to whatever height you need all in the same day.

Usually, standard floor to floor heights (8' to 12') are fine for laying up all at one time, start to finish.
If these walls are to be grout filled the same day, then maybe not.

By the time you build double wythe (de-coupled) wood framed walls , perhaps with constrained layer damping, or some type of limp membrane, combined with two layers of 5/8 sheet rock on both outside surfaces, you begin to equal or exceed the cost (and weight) of the CMU (concrete masonry unit) wall.

I hope this helps.
Re: Soundproofing basics [message #86061 is a reply to message #85960] Tue, 05 September 2017 01:34 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I agree with you johnnycamp that most people settle for options that're less costly and practical. Soundproofing looks like something that's best left for the pros to handle. I wouldn't try to experiment with my DIY skills here.
Previous Topic: Car Audio
Next Topic: Compression
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:11:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout