Home » Audio » Movies & Music » One Hit Wonders...of today?
One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #85834] Sat, 12 August 2017 13:49 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
The 80's and 90's were filled with one hit wonders that bring back a shot of nostalgia for me. Did you have a favorite? I played The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" relentlessly. And the year before that I rocked out to Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping" even though I had no idea what they were saying. Heck, I still don't know what they were saying. It's got a nice beat though!

Are there any one hit wonders of today? One-offs just don't seem to happen anymore.
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #85837 is a reply to message #85834] Sat, 12 August 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There were lots of them in the past, but now (dating myself as an old fogie) I think there are a lot of no hit wonders now. Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #85899 is a reply to message #85834] Sun, 20 August 2017 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I can name two - I think. The first is Connor Maynard's "Vegas Girl."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMTGcwZxdGg

The second is Walk the Moon's "Shut Up and Dance."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCLY0Rlx6Q

I'm sure there's a ton more. Since everything went digital, fans seem less loyal to one group or artist.
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #85908 is a reply to message #85834] Mon, 21 August 2017 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirkman is currently offline  Kirkman
Chancellor
That's a great question and something you don't hear about much these days. I definitely have some from my teenage years but recent ones don't come to mind. Of course, I'm awful with remembering name or artists or songs these days.
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #86177 is a reply to message #85834] Fri, 22 September 2017 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I can think of several from the 80s and 90s. You're right though, I can't really think of any from today. I think artists get more recognition these days - from social media, streaming, etc. - and that helps them have a large enough fanbase to continue producing music.
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #86189 is a reply to message #85834] Sun, 24 September 2017 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I'm with Bruce on this.

This guy has some good reasons why-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #86194 is a reply to message #86189] Sun, 24 September 2017 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I was thinkin' about how you can't ever tell a group will be a "one hit wonder" for several years. You know, you hear a song and it's catchy, gets played regularly for some time and then it slowly disappears.

Then a decade passes and you realize you never heard that band again. So it dawns on you: They were a one hit wonder!

Re: One Hit Wonders...of today? [message #86270 is a reply to message #85834] Wed, 04 October 2017 13:03 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
That's true Johnny. I'm a fan of the Beatles, but my parents complained that their parents hated the group and said that music had died years ago. Every generation hates the next generations music. It almost feels like a requirement.

Wayne, your theory makes sense, maybe enough time just hasn't went by.

I honestly thought One Direction would be a one hit wonder of today, but no. I suppose I'm not a talented music critic.
Previous Topic: Stripped back music
Next Topic: What is your favorite soudtrack?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:29:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio