Home » Audio » Pro Sound » The most complex musical instrument
The most complex musical instrument [message #85812] Sun, 06 August 2017 11:49 Go to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
For me, this would have to be the piano, considering that it took more than 100 years to evolve to what it by the 1910s, after which it hasn't changed much. What's you call on this?
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #85879 is a reply to message #85812] Wed, 16 August 2017 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
For me, it would have to be the sax or violin. Somehow, they seem harder to learn. If we are talking about ease of play, I'd say that the piano is the easiest, its rich history notwithstanding.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #86190 is a reply to message #85812] Sun, 24 September 2017 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frankie is currently offline  Frankie
Chancellor
If you're talking about difficulty to learn, then I wouldn't say the piano. But if you're talking about the actual instrument, then I'd say the piano. There's also this interesting instrument I've only heard about in the last couple of days, the orchestrion. It seems pretty complex. As for learning difficulty, I'm going to go with the accordion or banjo.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #86567 is a reply to message #85812] Thu, 16 November 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuplia is currently offline  Fuplia
Esquire
In terms of complexity of the actual instrument? I'd say the organ. It's this giant monster of an instrument. In terms of learning, I'd say the violin is the most difficult. You have to be really good to just get the notes to sound right. If you are even slightly off, the sound of an incompetent violin player just sounds awful. On the other hand, I've heard that piano is easy for beginners, but one of the most difficult instruments to master.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #86576 is a reply to message #85812] Fri, 17 November 2017 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I agree with Fupila. Organs are some of the most complex, not to mention largest, instruments out there. I'm also agreeing with her about novice violin players are downright insufferable to be around (I'm still haunted by the few months my brother attempted to learn the violin). The French Horn seems very difficult to learn - that's what I've been told anyways. I think the organ probably wins for me overall; complex in a physical way and I believe difficult to learn as well.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #86587 is a reply to message #86576] Sat, 18 November 2017 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuplia is currently offline  Fuplia
Esquire
Charlie82 wrote on Fri, 17 November 2017 10:39
I agree with Fupila. Organs are some of the most complex, not to mention largest, instruments out there. I'm also agreeing with her about novice violin players are downright insufferable to be around (I'm still haunted by the few months my brother attempted to learn the violin). The French Horn seems very difficult to learn - that's what I've been told anyways. I think the organ probably wins for me overall; complex in a physical way and I believe difficult to learn as well.

Now that you mention it, an organ could be even more complex than a piano to play since you sometimes use your feet as well to play a keyboard on the floor.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #86629 is a reply to message #85812] Wed, 22 November 2017 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I agree that organs are complex instruments, however, in difficulty playing, the oboe is a real pain. Getting the correct sound out of two pieces of the reed is hard.
Re: The most complex musical instrument [message #87002 is a reply to message #85812] Fri, 12 January 2018 19:26 Go to previous message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
I'm going to have to agree with most people and say the piano or the organ is the most complex instrument. As far as difficulty learning, I can't say for sure since I don't have a whole lot of experience on different instruments. Interesting to hear that about the oboe, though! Wind instruments seem difficult to me but maybe that's because I've never had any success with them.
Previous Topic: Mixing Console
Next Topic: Turntablism
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:46:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout