Home » Audio » Radio » On the tip of my tongue...
On the tip of my tongue... [message #85781] Sat, 05 August 2017 00:12 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
What is the apparatus you could use to talk to others several years ago. It might have been around for decades, but I can't remember. I'm not describing it well because I can't remember the specifics. I think both people needed to have "it" in order to communicate. I don't think "it" cost money to use. Not like cell phones or buying phone cards for the pay phone. The apparatus came before the old school car phones. You know, the ones that were attached to the car on the inside and had an antennae outside. It's on the tip of the tongue...

Professor Google has been no help, of course. The apparatus isn't a cell phone, a podcast, or a computer.
Re: On the tip of my tongue... [message #85782 is a reply to message #85781] Sat, 05 August 2017 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

(Citizen's Band) CB Radio.

You could buy base stations, under-dash mobile units for your car or hand-held "walkie-talkies."

The FCC first assigned 23 channels in the 27MHz (11 meter) band but later increased it to 40 channels. Most models could use any of those channels, but some models could only use a few and required individual quartz crystals in small two-pin cans to provide tuning for each channel. Five channel models were available, for example. Walkie-talkies sometimes only worked on one channel, usually channel 14. Truckers usually used channel 19.

CB radios are still available today.

icon14.gif  Re: On the tip of my tongue... [message #85795 is a reply to message #85782] Sun, 06 August 2017 00:48 Go to previous message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I believe you're right Wayne and thanks for the help. I think it could be a fun hobby for the older folks in my family who are more housebound. I never used one myself, but saw them around and heard others chatting. I'm off to find one. Thanks again!
Previous Topic: Life without radio
Next Topic: Is digital radio really better?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:28:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio