Home » Audio » General » Audio myths
Audio myths [message #85763] Wed, 02 August 2017 15:37 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
What is the biggest lie that you've ever heard? I was once told that small places (like closets) are very ideal for recording. The truth of the matter is that a medium sized space that's well treated actually does the trick.
Re: Audio myths [message #85766 is a reply to message #85763] Wed, 02 August 2017 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Vinyl is dead. Shocked Not according to many different sources. If it was Sony would not be building a new pressing plant.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Audio myths [message #85771 is a reply to message #85763] Thu, 03 August 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've seen a lot of audiophile myths. One thing covers them all, and that's a subjective evaluation. If someone says something but cannot validate or quantify it with measurable, objective data, then it's just a guess, and often times, a wrong one.

It's not just in audio either. I find this to be true of most things. I think it's largely because we have to make decisions on limited data, so we sort of "fill in the blanks" on everything we don't know. We're just wired that way. But see - even that is me "filling in the blanks" with my own little hypothesis. Laughing

And since I'm hypothesizing, I'll go further. I think once we've drawn a conclusion - even if it's not based on objective data - we tend to make that our new truth. After a while, we forget what came about to get us to that conclusion, so we can think it's reliable, like came from a reliable source or whatever. We can be absolutely convinced that we read or heard something from a reliable source, when in fact, we just made it up, thinking it "fit the facts." Add some ego, not wanting to be wrong, and we can get some pretty useless ideas totally entrenched. We'll aggressively argue to defend those ideas even against objective data that proves otherwise.

So I know that goes beyond the casual discussion of audiophile myths. But it is something I think explains why people can get (sometimes nonsense) ideas stuck in their head, and have certainty that they're right. I've seen it in a lot of areas, some technical, some not.

Re: Audio myths [message #85776 is a reply to message #85763] Thu, 03 August 2017 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Excellent observations Wayne.

I agree,
and the very same things you have mentioned have taught me to never be too sure (over confident) about anything.

A way that I try to avoid sounding foolish when discussing "audio myths" or anything else, is to precede my subjective beliefs with "in my experience" or "in my opinion".

This also allows the recipient to respond with the proverbial "opinions are like ass*****, everybody has one"

Laughing
Re: Audio myths [message #94600 is a reply to message #85763] Sun, 10 October 2021 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
sawyer25 wrote on Wed, 02 August 2017 15:37
The truth of the matter is that a medium sized space that's well treated actually does the trick.
Do bathrooms apply to middle-sized rooms? It seems to be ideal for recording. Although, I'm not sure if it's because of the size or due to the tiles. There wasn't much echo, and the sound seemed louder compared to when I would be outside.
Re: Audio myths [message #94609 is a reply to message #85763] Tue, 12 October 2021 12:55 Go to previous message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Connectors that are gold-plated put out better sound. The reasoning behind it is that gold doesn't tarnish, therefore is capable of producing better sound.

Oh, and "Rock and Roll is the devils music". The "Satan Scare" of the 80's.
Previous Topic: Improving audio sound
Next Topic: Alternative to Audible
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:29:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout