Home » Audio » General » Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids?
Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85675] Sun, 23 July 2017 17:33 Go to next message
Piglet is currently offline  Piglet
Esquire
My piano teacher told me I have a good "ear" for music. It allowed me to know if the note I was playing was off. This really helped me in band because playing a wind instrument is all about intonation. Should this be taught to children by default?
Re: Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85676 is a reply to message #85675] Sun, 23 July 2017 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
Yes, I think this is a good exercise for kids. Especially if they are interested in music at all, this can be a big help in their musical development.
Re: Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85686 is a reply to message #85675] Sun, 23 July 2017 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
I do think that kids should learn how to have an ear for music. I think it would have helped all those years that I played instruments.
Re: Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85769 is a reply to message #85675] Wed, 02 August 2017 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I have always thought that this is something that comes naturally. Do we have many people that can play instruments and have no 'ear' for music, so to speak? I would agree that teaching this in school would probably get more kids interested in music.
Re: Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85815 is a reply to message #85769] Sun, 06 August 2017 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think it's good for kids to learn about music. It enhances their cognitive skills to learn to play an instrument and read notes and keep a beat. But, I think expecting them to train by just using their "ears" will lead to frustration.
Re: Do you think that "ear" training in piano is good for kids? [message #85817 is a reply to message #85815] Sun, 06 August 2017 23:34 Go to previous message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Leot55 wrote on Sun, 06 August 2017 20:08
I think it's good for kids to learn about music. It enhances their cognitive skills to learn to play an instrument and read notes and keep a beat. But, I think expecting them to train by just using their "ears" will lead to frustration.

My understanding of this thread is whether kids should be taught how to 'naturally' know when the notes they're playing could be off-key. As far as teaching music is concerned, I'd say that exposure when they're still young will have an overall positive effect.
Previous Topic: Amplifier classes
Next Topic: Playback capabilities
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:52:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout