Home » Audio » Radio » What you miss
What you miss [message #85666] Thu, 20 July 2017 22:56 Go to next message
Saxon is currently offline  Saxon
Chancellor
How radios work and what comes on them are changing everyday. What do you miss about radios that are starting to disappear? (The variety of stations, the talk shows, etc.)
Re: What you miss [message #85673 is a reply to message #85666] Sat, 22 July 2017 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I miss the community aspect of old school radio. Now there's just so much division and too much variety. A station for men who hate liberals and women. A station for Christian teens who only want to hear other Christian teens. A station for women who hate Democrats and other women, but love 80's music. And on and on it goes. Stations used to center around the type of music that was played. Now, it's divided up by the audience and DJ personality. You never hear the other side of the story that way. You never learn anything new.
Re: What you miss [message #85750 is a reply to message #85666] Mon, 31 July 2017 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
Leot55, sometimes I couldn't even 'feel' the personality of the host. At some point, the talks were superficial and unimportant. It sounded like gossips. Maybe it was meant to be casual from the beginning, but without insight, I found myself feeling less interested and eventually drifted away.
Re: What you miss [message #85753 is a reply to message #85750] Mon, 31 July 2017 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
For all you ex-(and present) East coast fans from days gone by...

Submarine race watching (actually listening) with cousin "Brucie" on WABC 770 AM in New York. A power house station that covered many states. Great 60s and 70s rock. For a while there was a channel on XM that carried some of the old shows right down to the commercials.....when was the last time you heard a Reingold beer commercial?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What you miss [message #85801 is a reply to message #85666] Sun, 06 August 2017 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I miss the kind of personalities that were suited for radio. Nowadays, we don't have a lot of this. Most of the hosts really got there because of their popularity.
Re: What you miss [message #85900 is a reply to message #85673] Mon, 21 August 2017 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 22 July 2017 23:29
You never hear the other side of the story that way. You never learn anything new.

People like that don't want to. They just want validation for their own views.

You're right though. With more choices come more divisiveness and we all seem to be growing apart from each other. They call it progress, and from a technical standpoint it might be. But not from a personal standpoint it seems like we are devolving.
Re: What you miss [message #85911 is a reply to message #85673] Mon, 21 August 2017 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 22 July 2017 23:29
I miss the community aspect of old school radio. Now there's just so much division and too much variety. A station for men who hate liberals and women. A station for Christian teens who only want to hear other Christian teens. A station for women who hate Democrats and other women, but love 80's music. And on and on it goes. Stations used to center around the type of music that was played. Now, it's divided up by the audience and DJ personality. You never hear the other side of the story that way. You never learn anything new.

I agree with you completely. There's too much variety and a lot of biased opinions. I feel that objectivity has (somewhat) been lost along the way.
Re: What you miss [message #86012 is a reply to message #85666] Fri, 01 September 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirkman is currently offline  Kirkman
Chancellor
I find that I dislike the majority of DJs on the air. They don't seem to have any personality and just make bad puns. Also, the ones that play music seem to stick to the same 20 songs or so. It's part of why I don't listen to the radio much.
Re: What you miss [message #86483 is a reply to message #86012] Fri, 03 November 2017 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodsounds is currently offline  goodsounds
Chancellor
Kirkman wrote on Fri, 01 September 2017 07:11
Also, the ones that play music seem to stick to the same 20 songs or so. It's part of why I don't listen to the radio much.

I agree with you completely. I feel like there is only the same 'hits' played over and over again, and actually good songs don't get played. I've liked a song and then began to dislike it due to the amount of times I've heard it. It drives me insane, so I usually stick to streaming music.
Re: What you miss [message #86578 is a reply to message #85666] Fri, 17 November 2017 11:37 Go to previous message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
Oh, well, I think I miss good music most of all. I also miss the days when there were fewer commercials. Sometimes in the morning, I miss the banter of the morning talk shows. Those might still be around, but I sure can't find any in my area.
Previous Topic: Do you still use a traditional radio?
Next Topic: Podcast recommendations for young kids
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:30:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout