Home » Audio » Source » Were records pirated in their heyday?
Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85596] Sun, 09 July 2017 18:03 Go to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Did music lovers "pirate" vinyl records? Pirating can mean copying, recording, duplicating, however possible, to acquire the music without buying it and without giving up the original record. The information I've found online relies on the technology of today. I'm not interested in pirating records now and have no intention of trying. I'm asking if vinyls were pirated and how it was done when they were popular years ago.
Re: Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85599 is a reply to message #85596] Mon, 10 July 2017 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I suspect some were pirated and replicas made, but most folks used tape recorders to copy LPs. A good tape machine could make a copy that would be very hard to tell from the original. Often individuals would copy the LPs on the first play and just use the tape and thus preserve the record. Also specialized tapes were made that only had the tracks on them that you liked.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85607 is a reply to message #85599] Mon, 10 July 2017 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's how I always did it. Made a copy on reel-to-reel and on cassette. Made cassette copies for the car, reel-to-reel for best quality at home and rarely played the vinyl record. For me, it was (and still is) essentially an archival media.

Re: Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85612 is a reply to message #85596] Wed, 12 July 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
Oh, I knew it! I knew my generation was not the first to prate material, yet I've never heard mention of that about other generations.

Wayne, thanks for mentioning that "specialized tapes were made that only had the tracks on them that you liked." That is the first I've heard of something like that being around before Walmart and Apple began selling individual songs rather than the whole album.

Gofar99, I always thought tapes sounded terrible, but I played my favorites into the ground, so that could be why.

Thank you both for responding! I've used some your key terms to fall down the google rabbit hole these past few days.
Re: Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85616 is a reply to message #85612] Wed, 12 July 2017 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Tapes are not inferior....they are what nearly all the music was recorded on in studios until the last few years. A good reel to reel will astound you. Some high end cassette recorders were fairly good, but none IMO were to the R-R standard. Plain everyday cassette recorders were not all that great. Often noisy and with marginal response...they were the MP3 players of the day.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Were records pirated in their heyday? [message #85722 is a reply to message #85596] Tue, 25 July 2017 10:20 Go to previous message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
Pirating is not anything new. However, I do believe that it is much easier for people to pirate materials these days than it was back in the day.
Previous Topic: Vertical Record Players
Next Topic: Mini Disc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:10:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout