Home » Audio » Home Theater » What wattage is recommended?
What wattage is recommended? [message #85547] Wed, 05 July 2017 13:10 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I see most people purchasing 1000 watt systems where others are content with say, the 600 watts ones. Which one would you say is the best system in terms of watts and what is the implication of a home theater with higher wattage?
Re: What wattage is recommended? [message #85567 is a reply to message #85547] Sat, 08 July 2017 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I've had both and the impact is so negligent that I can barely tell a difference. The wattage number is more of a money maker than anything else as manufacturers have learned to throw up big numbers so they can charge more and make their product appear superior to the competition. It also allows them to cut corners on the product's "insides" which actually matter more in the long run.
Re: What wattage is recommended? [message #85577 is a reply to message #85567] Sat, 08 July 2017 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Power requirements are based on the efficiency of the loudspeaker system(s) and the size of the room. If you have a speaker that is able to generate 98dB one meter away with one watt input power, then you'll need four times less power than a speaker that only generates 92dB at one meter with one watt input.

Re: What wattage is recommended? [message #85580 is a reply to message #85577] Sat, 08 July 2017 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I'm with Wayne. My largest amps are 45 watts per channel. I can send you out of the room with them and the speakers are only 92 dbw. I see very little point in anything over about 200 watts per channel. My opinion is that this is a not so subtle "horsepower" war and marketing ploy to get you to spend more money. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What wattage is recommended? [message #85587 is a reply to message #85580] Sun, 09 July 2017 02:27 Go to previous message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Sat, 08 July 2017 13:18
I'm with Wayne. My largest amps are 45 watts per channel. I can send you out of the room with them and the speakers are only 92 dbw. I see very little point in anything over about 200 watts per channel. My opinion is that this is a not so subtle "horsepower" war and marketing ploy to get you to spend more money. Rolling Eyes

I see your point gofar. If we are talking about 200 watts per channel, then that means the whole system can be at least, 600 watts. It is true that all these are marketing gimmicks that consumers (so easily) fall for.
Previous Topic: How Long Did It Take You To Set Up System?
Next Topic: Lens replacement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:14:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout