Home » Audio » General » What to do with old gear?
What to do with old gear? [message #85520] Thu, 29 June 2017 10:21 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I have several old school television sets (not flat screen), VCRs, DVD players, speakers, and music players that are in great working order but aren't modern or sought after. I've asked around, and no one is interested in taking these free items off my hands. I hate to send these items off to be recycled because they still work. What do you do with your old gear?
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85521 is a reply to message #85520] Thu, 29 June 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Goodwill usually takes items like that.

Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85523 is a reply to message #85520] Fri, 30 June 2017 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
You aren't alone in this. I hate to give away stuff for recycling purposes when they are in a good condition. Wayne, does goodwill refer to reselling old gadgets that work or can be fixed?
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85524 is a reply to message #85523] Fri, 30 June 2017 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Goodwill will take pretty much anything. I'm not sure how much effort they'll put in fixing something, but I know they'll try. And even obsolete stuff is welcome to someone that has nothing, so they'll sell it very cheap.

Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85525 is a reply to message #85520] Fri, 30 June 2017 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne Parham, I appreciate the suggestion! I should have stated in my OP that I already tried Goodwill and those within a 2 hour radius from me will only accept flat screen televisions and will only take VCRs if they are known to contain copper wire.
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85526 is a reply to message #85525] Fri, 30 June 2017 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Gotcha, wow, the ones around me will take pretty much anything.

Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85528 is a reply to message #85520] Sat, 01 July 2017 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Craigslist or eBay can be a good way to get rid of them, if you can find someone willing to do delivery. If none of the charity shops will take them, then you can try car boot fairs or hold a garage sale and see if anyone buys them.

There's a thing of mashable about donating technology. Are any of those useful?
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85536 is a reply to message #85520] Sat, 01 July 2017 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I don't know about you, but it's really hard for me to get rid of things that I've had a long time. Now there are many places online that will buy your old technology and do it rather quickly too. I just think we should keep it out of the landfills, though.
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85545 is a reply to message #85520] Wed, 05 July 2017 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keven is currently offline  Keven
Baron
There should be a store around you that either takes things for free or buys them. Goodwill's likely to take just about anything that you bring to them. Actually, as far as I know, they don't turn anything down.
Re: What to do with old gear? [message #85564 is a reply to message #85520] Fri, 07 July 2017 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Master
Thank you all for the help! Keven, I tried Goodwill but they just won't take most of my items. I asked why and it has to do with digital television and the fear that if the items weren't sold, Goodwill would have to pay a disposable or recycling fee.

vhfspeeks, thanks for the great suggestions! I'm happy to say you've helped me clean out most of my clutter. I used a combination of Craigslist and Tech Soup which was mentioned in the Mashable article. When school starts back up I'll check if any teachers want my Disney DVDs.

I'm thankful to you all. It's nice to know someone will get use out of mu old gear that still works great and it's one less thing in the landfill.
Previous Topic: Does Volume Matter?
Next Topic: TV music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:27:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout