Home » Audio » Source » Maxed Linn
Maxed Linn [message #12162] Tue, 24 May 2005 05:32 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The local Hi-Fi emporium had a Linn rep there for the day by invitation so I went. The new top of the line Linn was offered. Only thing is they used all Linn components so I could not do a real listen. But man; 7000$? It did resolve piano unlike any thing I have heard recently. The keyboard had a very deep, by that I mean it actually seemed to be the length of a grand piano, sound.
I asked when they were going to tube electronics and the guy turned white. They use a lot of op-amp based circuits.
I wanted to audition their cartridge the "Adikt" but they only had the MC.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12163 is a reply to message #12162] Tue, 24 May 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Shocking. I would have expected more. Cross them off the list.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12165 is a reply to message #12163] Tue, 24 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hard to believe ain't it? You should have heard the chuckles when they heard I use horn-loaded speakers.
I'm a dinosaur.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12168 is a reply to message #12165] Tue, 24 May 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not to knock turntables, I love 'em. But it is odd to sell turntables and think of someone else a "dinosaur."

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12169 is a reply to message #12168] Tue, 24 May 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You have me there; I never thought of it that way. Don't get me wrong, the Linn table is very musical to the point that it is startling. Just that little matter of 7k$.
I can upgrade mine for 700$ by installing the Cirkus bearing and sub-chassis; which seems pretty reasonable when you hear it. But that still leaves me far from the full monty.
I have to say if you have never heard a properly set-up Linn, then it may be a revelation; most people who lump them into the whole table list come away surprised. I find; in the difference between some of the expensive tables, the LP 12 comes out a tad more musically involving.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12170 is a reply to message #12169] Tue, 24 May 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for explaining that. I misread your comments and thought you were saying they used cheap op-amps that sounded bad. But I guess they wouldn't have been in the table anyway.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12171 is a reply to message #12170] Tue, 24 May 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well that is a mis-read thread if I ever heard one. It is funny how writing these things you have to remmember the other guy isn't there in front of you.
What I meant to say as verses what came out is Linn uses op-amps in all their electronics and I for one would have to say that they are pretty successful at making them sound darn good( especially for the $4k amps and $3k pre-amps. Sheesh, how much can an op-amp cost.)
You know I will never critisize any device unless I personally have lived with it. I have a little old phono-amp built with battery power and Signetics 5534's that still to this day sounds real sweet. One of the engineers from Fairchild when it was still on Long Island belonged to the audio society and he whipped it up for all of us.
In fact for anyone interested I still have the schematic. It runs on 12v dc per side and is dirt cheap to build. I still fire it up occasionally for kicks. Some built them into the table itself.
But hey; whatever works and sounds good is good by me.

Re: Maxed Linn [message #12172 is a reply to message #12171] Tue, 24 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yeah, I missed that one big time. Glad you pointed that out. As for op-amps, there are some that are very good. There are also some that are just trash. They're fine for noncritical stuff I 'spose but they're drifty and noisy.

Previous Topic: SONY PS LX250H voltage
Next Topic: Turntable refuses to rotate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 23:29:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout