Home » Audio » Home Theater » For how long should a system last?
For how long should a system last? [message #85496] Mon, 26 June 2017 23:35 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
If you taking good care of a home theater system and with everything else held constant, what's the average period that a good one should serve you? I have never cared to think about this until I came across a buddy who's had his for almost a decade.
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #85508 is a reply to message #85496] Tue, 27 June 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
As long as the media you are viewing/playing doesn't change I would say about 5 years. If there is a change, all bets are off. The actual gear may survive a long time but be totally obsolete.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #85562 is a reply to message #85508] Fri, 07 July 2017 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
gofar99 wrote on Tue, 27 June 2017 16:13
As long as the media you are viewing/playing doesn't change I would say about 5 years. If there is a change, all bets are off. The actual gear may survive a long time but be totally obsolete.

True gofar; you raise a good point about the gear being rendered redundant. There isn't a guarantee that the media being viewed or played won't change so I was wondering, what if there was a possibility of the gear being modified to suit emerging formats?
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #85774 is a reply to message #85496] Thu, 03 August 2017 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saxon is currently offline  Saxon
Chancellor
How long the system lasts varies. It really depends on the type and brand of the system you purchased and how well you handle the up keep.
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #85775 is a reply to message #85774] Thu, 03 August 2017 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Sort of a follow on. My previous comments are based largely on HT systems. For something like vinyl playback, radio reception, and tape playing there doesn't seem to be any magic number. With care gear made 50 years ago will be as good as newer stuff. I personally have quite a bit of equipment that is from the early 70's that is in perfect condition. Right now I'm listening to a Marantz 2265B receiver. It was made in 1975. I would gladly put it up against anything new. Now to be sure it listed for something like $800 back then and with inflation a fair comparison would probably be against equipment that most users would never see in a store now. Likely new gear would be in the $8000 range. Many new pieces of equipment are designed with a limited life span and designed to be trashed after a few years. Cheaper for sure, but kid of a sad comment on how we think and what is valuable. Much of the vintage gear..partly because it was a significant financial investment was build to last. Two of the best performing turntables I have are over 40 years old, one nearly 50. Sadly we have become admirers of the "latest, greatest, shiny things" and don't seem to value quality, or perhaps more frightful, we don't recognize it when we see it. Time to jump off my soap box.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: For how long should a system last? [message #86025 is a reply to message #85496] Sun, 03 September 2017 06:43 Go to previous message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
It would make sense to say that a HT system will last for as long as the playable content remains the same. As for how long a particular system can last, it'd be dependent on many factors as well as how well they're taken care of.
Previous Topic: Packing your system
Next Topic: Buying similar brands
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:40:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout