Home » Audio » Source » Transcriptor Saturn
Transcriptor Saturn [message #85447] Mon, 19 June 2017 18:24 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. Every now and then I acquire something for reasons that make no sense. Such is the case with this turntable. I wanted it because it look so cool. It didn't matter if it worked or not. Fortunately I managed to get to work well. It is not the best I have for playing (it is #4) but it really looks neat on display. The tone arm is really fiddley though. The TT is from about 1970-1972.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1992&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1993&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #85452 is a reply to message #85447] Tue, 20 June 2017 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, Bruce, what a find! That table looks great!

That arm looks good but you said it was "fiddley." What do you mean by that? Was it hard to set?

Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #85454 is a reply to message #85452] Tue, 20 June 2017 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, By fiddley...it has numerous settings and they all interact. It starts with the plinth suspension adjustments, followed by the motor sub chassis adjustments, then you need to make sure the alignment between the pulley and platter is ok, if not go back and do the first two over. Next is the arm height, followed by horizontal alignment, then fasten a cartridge to the head section. Next the mono filament between the head and the rear mounted floating counterweight. Then getting the head level horizontally. Find a scale that is the exact height to check the tracking force. This is critical as the head moves up and down (not the arm as it is fixed in the vertical plane). Set the adjuster on the counter weight. If it won't adjust, change the length of the mono filament. Recheck the VTF. Verify that the head is now parallel to the record. Re-do the past few steps if it is not. The set the travel adjust on the arm so it doesn't hit the spindle. Then adjust the azimuth of the arm so it does not swing in or out when placed in the middle of where a record would be (remove the record first) . Oh BTW the table has to be level first. Go back and check the head to see if it is still parallel in all directions to the record. NOW if you did everything right it will play. If not...ugh. That is what I call fiddley. Oh BTW the arm requires a really high compliance cartridge as only the head moves up and down. That is the reason for the ADC-XLM. It was OEM on this arm and has one of the highest compliances known to man. Depending on the stylus up to 50. (most normal cartridges are in the 10-20 range) Sharp eyed individuals will note in one photo I was testing an AT F-7 cartridge to see if it would work out...it didn't.

On the brighter side of things...because of the head arrangement the turntable has superior tracking ability for warped records. Overall it plays well, just not in the same league as my Dual or Empire. But for eye catching appeal it is hard to beat.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #85455 is a reply to message #85454] Tue, 20 June 2017 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, wow. Yeah, I gotcha on the "fiddley." But still, it is cool looking and I get what you're saying about how it might be able to deal with warped records better. Most arms aren't damped at all in the vertical and it sounds like that setup is.

Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #94779 is a reply to message #85447] Thu, 11 November 2021 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pequod23 is currently offline  Pequod23
Esquire
Hi Bruce,
What kind of cartridges have you found that have worked well on this table? I recently acquired one with the tonearm original to it. Thank you for your time.
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #94785 is a reply to message #94779] Fri, 12 November 2021 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Mercy, what a rigmarole, hold your breath procedure. They are beautiful tables. I first "vidi'd" one from the movie Clockwork Orange back then. Young droogie Alex played his Beethoven on it to consummate with a lass picked up at the record shop.
I've wanted to try a vintage serviceable ADC cart.
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #94821 is a reply to message #94785] Sun, 14 November 2021 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, BTW...I covered much of this earlier, but it really is a fiddly turntable and arm. Mine has the vestigial arm which is rather particular (think really particular) for cartridge compliance. The only cartridge that I have found that really tracks in it like it is supposed to is the ADC XLM. For those that are unfamiliar with this arm the total vertical moving mass is extremely small. It is just the rounded head shell. The vertical pivot is right at the back of the head shell. Horizontal mass is that of the arm itself and considering how thin and light it is also much smaller than most. Probably the only other are similar is the Black Widow arm from Dynavector. A cartridge with lower compliance will transmit vibrations to the arm thus the need for very high compliance. I would expect any really high compliance cartridge to work as long as it isn't to massive. As mentioned in my first post, this is quite tedious to set up. It has several settings that are not typical of other arms. Most relate to the pivot point, over hang, height of the arm and tilt of the arm. Several are inter related and alter each other. Be sure to look at instructions for it if it is the one you have. It is also difficult to get the tracking force right (as in nearly impossible). I finally went by looking at the stylus deflection and how it sounded as none of the scales I have gave good results. The literature for the TT states that it is not possible to get it right without one of their specially designed scales. They look like a modified one like the Shure ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #94823 is a reply to message #94785] Sun, 14 November 2021 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pequod23 is currently offline  Pequod23
Esquire
Hi Bruce thanks for the great response.

I have included a picture of the saturn with the spindly low mass "S" arm (not the vestigial one, for better or for worse). I think a Nagoaka MP110 cart would do the trick? Other recommendations from those that own one would be welcome!

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2910&private=0
Re: Transcriptor Saturn [message #94833 is a reply to message #94823] Wed, 17 November 2021 13:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe I would pose that question on the VinylEngine.com forum. That is where a huge amount of expertise is located. Friendly forums as well. There is a section on such turntables. I hang out there daily. Personally I would rather have the arm you have as they are a lot less problematic. Just too expensive to change.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Geshelli Labs
Next Topic: Converting video to audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:57:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers