Home » Audio » Source » BSR 710: repair or replace?
BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12148] Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17 Go to next message
stevemilleresq is currently offline  stevemilleresq
Esquire
My inclination is repair, but the local high end audio shop basically inmplied it wasn't well made to begin with (news to me, I remember it was pretty good back in the day) and there are plenty better quality tt's out there.

WHat to do?

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12149 is a reply to message #12148] Sun, 08 May 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Whats the question? If they refuse to take your money then I would say that settles it. I like the username. Quicksilver Girl is one of my favorite songs.

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12152 is a reply to message #12149] Mon, 09 May 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
The question is is it a decent enough (say as compared to a music hall MM-5 or similar, which is what I would replace it with) to justify repairing. I'm guessing it will would cost at least $155.00 (to "refurbish" if I sent it to the turntable factory) so that's a figure I'm keeping in my head for the least it would cost for repair. There's not much wrong with it as far as I can see, it seems that the rubber motor wheel has dried out and is slipping on the platter.

Thanks much with your help.

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12153 is a reply to message #12152] Mon, 09 May 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Are you handy with this stuff? There might be solutions for this but they might not be facotry stock if that matters.

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12154 is a reply to message #12153] Tue, 10 May 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Not only am I handy but I have an awesome set of tools....

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12155 is a reply to message #12154] Tue, 10 May 2005 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Try lightly sanding the rubber then tightening the pressure spring first. And clean the insidr of the rim with isopropyl alchohol.

Re: BSR 710: repair or replace? [message #12212 is a reply to message #12149] Fri, 03 June 2005 21:54 Go to previous message
skyeenter is currently offline  skyeenter
Esquire
I just picked one of theses up today at a garage sale for $15.00. I know I overpaid by $5 or $10 but she was a nice lady. I thought this unit looked better than the average BSR junk I remember from my YOUTH.

There's a 15 year old kid from the Phillipines who just loves these old junkers. He's logged in on Vinyl Engine, goes by Bajtis or something like that. The link below will get you to Vinyl Engine. Do a search with BSR 710. You'll have to read through all 17 links to glean some infor, but it should help with your decision. This kid says it takes about 4 hours to clean and rebuild one of these.

I got all the paperwork (no sales receipt though) including, manuals, arm setup and schematics. If interested email me and I'll try and connect with you.

If nothing else it should be a fun project.

skye

Previous Topic: Anyone know where to purchase good quality outer sleeves for box sets?
Next Topic: Mass and tonearm geometry/Empire
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 10:37:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout