Home » Audio » Source » Is vinyl coming back?
Is vinyl coming back? [message #85361] Tue, 06 June 2017 02:02 Go to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Many would consider this to be functionally obsolete but at the same time, vinyl seems to be making a comeback. Interestingly, consumers who probably weren't even born when the turntables were the 'in-thing' seem to be fuelling this resurgence. Indeed, technology, as old as it may be, can never be rendered completely obsolete.
Re: Is vinyl coming back? [message #85368 is a reply to message #85361] Tue, 06 June 2017 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes there is a new interest in vinyl. Several indicators. One main turntable maker (Rega as I recall) made more turntables last year than any year since 1990. Similar things are going on in the actual manufacturing of records. New companies are coming on line and sales are way up. They are still small, but growing steadily. It seems that one source for material is the newest bands and artists. It doesn't make sense...but then lots of other things don't either. I am a big fan of vinyl and have hundreds of LPs. Also 6 turntables, all but two are in use now. I do have lots of digital stuff as well, but my personal preferance is for the sound of LPs. A nice thing about vinyl...it is available second hand. Used vintage LPs are quite cheap and often in good shape. Many that I get for 25 cents are nearly new. It is also a source of music that is not yet and may never be on digital down loads.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Is vinyl coming back? [message #85406 is a reply to message #85361] Sun, 11 June 2017 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I love the sound of LPs as well and it is a good thing that this comeback looks like the greatest of all-time. I'm not sure about the quality of the digital records but vinyl seems very durable.
Re: Is vinyl coming back? [message #85408 is a reply to message #85361] Sun, 11 June 2017 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I'm all for the comeback! I always loved going through my sister's vinyl collection. She really had some great ones and it introduced me to the popular music of the time. I was about 5 and it was the 60's.
Re: Is vinyl coming back? [message #85787 is a reply to message #85361] Sat, 05 August 2017 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amber is currently offline  Amber
Baron
A lot of people love to hop on trends or what they see others doing, so I think that some of the interest in vinyls these days aren't genuine.

-Amber
Re: Is vinyl coming back? [message #86597 is a reply to message #85361] Sun, 19 November 2017 12:06 Go to previous message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
From what I've noticed, trends have a way of coming back over and over again, from clothes to cars and everything else you can think of. Vinyls aren't going to be different. I think we are already seeing major signs that the trend is on its way back in. How long it lasts this time around is anyone's guess, though.
Previous Topic: How to play smaller records? Purchase new player?
Next Topic: What's the difference?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:57:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout