Home » Audio » Speaker » How much are speakers shrinking?
How much are speakers shrinking? [message #85296] Thu, 01 June 2017 02:45 Go to next message
Hylo
Baron
I've just inherited a set of old wood framed speakers from a relative who thought they were the most incredible speakers ever. My portable radio is louder and clearer, and about a quarter the size of any one of them. How much smaller are speakers going to get, do you think? Is there a minimum size limit for sound or volume?
Re: How much are speakers shrinking? [message #85430 is a reply to message #85296] Fri, 16 June 2017 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amber is currently offline  Amber
Baron
I think that the size of the speakers come down to what the company wants and their design. I have small speakers that play just as well as my big speakers.

-Amber
Re: How much are speakers shrinking? [message #85432 is a reply to message #85430] Fri, 16 June 2017 09:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Bigger is better!

Seriously, where speakers are concerned, bigger truly is better. Hoffman's Iron Law states that you can have any two of the following: small size, deep bass or high efficiency. You can optimize any two, but not all three. So if the speaker is small, it must be either inefficient or bass shy, possibly both.

This rule is quantified in the Thiele/Small formulas used to design all modern loudspeakers.

Previous Topic: Eminence Delta Pro 8-A in a JBL AM6200-64 horn project
Next Topic: $ on speakers or headphones?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:43:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio