Home » Audio » General » Format Obsolence?
Format Obsolence? [message #85263] Sat, 27 May 2017 09:23 Go to next message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
The paper had a piece in it saying that by 2028, a lot of original sound recordings worldwide would be lost for to degradation and format obsolence (e.g. wax cylinders). Is anything being down to preserve these, because the paper didn't go into details about preservation efforts?
Re: Format Obsolence? [message #85264 is a reply to message #85263] Sat, 27 May 2017 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's interesting. I hadn't heard that. Can you tell us more? You said it was in the "paper" - which one? Is there an online version of that paper?

I would expect an archival copy to be saved of any important recording at the very least.

Re: Format Obsolence? [message #85265 is a reply to message #85264] Sun, 28 May 2017 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
This sounds familiar, I think I saw something similar on Cultural Compass. The Library of Congress set up the National Recording Preservation Plan to handle it. The list of formats they are working to archive and save is really something!
Re: Format Obsolence? [message #85271 is a reply to message #85263] Mon, 29 May 2017 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jadex is currently offline  Jadex
Esquire
This really does sound interesting. I would also love to know more about it. Please post any resources that you find here so that we can all find out more about this. Thanks.
Re: Format Obsolence? [message #85287 is a reply to message #85263] Wed, 31 May 2017 08:14 Go to previous message
PianoGrrl is currently offline  PianoGrrl
Baron
It was only our local newspaper, and they aren't online (Luddites!). The article was about the Museum of Obsolete Media, and that their of serious endangered materials. If you want to know more about the site and what formats are at risk, it is at http://www.obsoletemedia.org/. I'd never heard of some of the formats on the list, but I'd say it is a really useful resource for audiophiles.
Previous Topic: Worst acoustics in a venue?
Next Topic: Brands that you love.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:20:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout