Home » Audio » General » Laptop speakers malfunctioning? (Laptop speakers malfunctioning?)
icon5.gif  Laptop speakers malfunctioning? [message #85203] Sat, 13 May 2017 17:41 Go to next message
Monolime is currently offline  Monolime
Esquire
Hello. I'm using a cheap HP laptop running Windows 10. It's about a year-and-a-half old. At some point within the past year, I've noticed that the built-in speakers have gotten very inconsistent with the quality of the sound that they produce.

At its worst, it'll sound as if the audio has been bass boosted to a ridiculous degree, and you'll hear lots of crackles. Sometimes, it'll sound completely normal.

Could the issue be with the hardware? Or did I accidentally ruin my settings at some point without noticing? I'm not knowledgeable about this sort of thing at all, so I would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
Re: Laptop speakers malfunctioning? [message #85204 is a reply to message #85203] Sun, 14 May 2017 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I wouldn't really call it cheap but I get your point. I have been there before but I'm not sure if it is the same thing. Whenever I'd hear anything at a high volume, the sound would be so pathetic. Have you ever connected your laptop to an external speaker and listened to it at a high volume? This often ruins the speakers.
Re: Laptop speakers malfunctioning? [message #85208 is a reply to message #85204] Sun, 14 May 2017 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A high probability is that it is either set wrong (look for the audio control panel) or the audio driver is outdated (maybe corrupted as well) and needs to be updated or fixed. If the speaker ever work OK then they are unlikely to be the problem.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Laptop speakers malfunctioning? [message #85224 is a reply to message #85203] Fri, 19 May 2017 18:06 Go to previous message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I've had the same problem with my laptop and I even asked that same question in this forum some time ago. I tried everything that others here suggested but in the end I just had to admit defeat and the speakers are still the same. I guess I'll just have to put up with them till I get a new laptop.
Previous Topic: Volume balancing
Next Topic: Will they get cheaper with time?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:03:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio