Home » Audio » General » Subsonic Speakers?
Subsonic Speakers? [message #84992] Sat, 15 April 2017 02:47 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
I was reading up on how subsonics, noises below human hearing, can create emotion. Are there any commercial speakers that use this effect to enhance the audio, or are they all limited to the range of hearing?
Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #84993 is a reply to message #84992] Sat, 15 April 2017 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's what subwoofers do.

Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #85001 is a reply to message #84993] Tue, 18 April 2017 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 15 April 2017 12:19

Yes, that's what subwoofers do.

Not all of them. A lot of the commercial ones are simply deep bass and bottom out at 25hz which is still in human hearing. I was after true infrasonics, 16Hz or below if possible.
Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #85003 is a reply to message #85001] Tue, 18 April 2017 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's true, but the point I was making is that subs radiate the bottom octaves and are what create the tactile vibrations as well as the auditory deep bass.

Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #85005 is a reply to message #84992] Wed, 19 April 2017 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You might have better luck building your own than buying.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-an-Infrasonic-Subwoofer/

Using this to help set someone's mood is serious business. You are essentially altering their emotional reality through sound waves. The military has had this capability for decades now. You would do well to keep those facts in mind before setting up a system like this.

Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #85010 is a reply to message #85005] Thu, 20 April 2017 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A subsonic subwoofer is one that produces sounds below 20hz at a meaningful level, typically 100dB or more. Subsonic subwoofers do cause an emotional response that's impossible to describe, but it only happens if there's subsonic information in the source. An example of a traditional subsonic sub design is the Allen Organ SR-1 seismic radiator, with a single 15" driver and four passive radiators. The -3dB point is 14.8hz. The lowest fundamental on a pipe organ is 16hz, which is low C of a 32' pipe. The Allen produces this digitally, and it sounds the same only if the speaker can handle that frequency. Try tuning low C on a cathedral organ, with your ears only a foot from the mouth of the pipe, and tell me it doesn't make your hair stand on end. Shocked

https://www.allenorgan.com/www/products/speakers/sr1subwoofers.html

But the champion of subsonic radiators is the Eminent Technology TRW-17. Here's a quote about two of their experimental projects with the TRW-18. "The first project took place in Nelspruit South Africa where we exposed elephants to the infrasound component of a rainstorm at an equivalnet distance of 25Km and the elephants immediately detected the sound. The second project took place in Orlando where we exposed alligators to 19Hz with underwater and airborne sounds independently. Each time we introduced the airborne infrasound the alligators responded by bellowing".

http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

So when the asshole with the fartbox-in-the-trunk pulls up next to you at a stoplight, and you have a TRW-18 in your trunk, you can at last retaliate.

Re: Subsonic Speakers? [message #85015 is a reply to message #85010] Thu, 20 April 2017 21:00 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi All, As I recall the Electrovoice 30W (30 inch woofer) was able to get to about 8HZ in an infinite baffle set up. Shocked They were used in a theater I worked at for a while for special effects. BTW the main speakers were Altec VOTs. It made for a great stereo about row 10. I figure a van with a pair of opposing 30Ws and about a kilowatt or so of amp power would destroy anyone who thought their car system was really the ultimate. Of course you ought to exit the van before turning it on. It might crush your chest or at least cause ear bleeds. Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Austin Audio Society
Next Topic: Facebook Music Page
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:56:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers