Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Why Is Sleep Needed?
Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #84863] Fri, 31 March 2017 12:52 Go to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
There are many different answers to this, and most of them are probably true. But what is your own personal opinion of why sleep is needed?
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #84864 is a reply to message #84863] Fri, 31 March 2017 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I know your digestive system rebuilds during sleep. Not sure about other body systems, but I would assume it's true for all parts.

Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #84871 is a reply to message #84863] Sat, 01 April 2017 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It keeps me from getting hungry at night. Shocked Also not wearing out my key board because of excessive use. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #84882 is a reply to message #84863] Mon, 03 April 2017 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lark is currently offline  Lark
Baron
I heard that when we sleep that is when our 'soul' goes back to replenish itself from the one 'source of all things'. I guess another way to put it would be to say that when you're sleeping you're actually off to visit 'God' that's why you're not conscious or 'alive' during that time.
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #84925 is a reply to message #84863] Sun, 09 April 2017 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
I've never actually thought of it that way, but that is certainly an interesting point of view worth looking into. I always assumed that our bodies are resting and repairing during that time.
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #86547 is a reply to message #84863] Wed, 15 November 2017 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockman is currently offline  Rockman
Esquire
Well, if you don't sleep, ever, you can die from that. It is extremely rare and I think it has been only documented in humans in cases where it was a specific syndrome that causes inability to sleep.
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #86625 is a reply to message #84863] Wed, 22 November 2017 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I think that the body doesn't really need to be asleep in order to rest or repair itself. I believe that the purpose of sleep is to replenish our mental energies. Of course I could be wrong, but I've found that in my life, the more in tune with myself I am (happy, passionate about something, eager to get on with my day every morning, and so on) the less sleep I need. Some nights I only go for 3 hours and yet the next day I'm as fresh as a daisy, ready to go again!
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #86673 is a reply to message #84863] Wed, 29 November 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
It's amazing that almost everyone has their own viewpoint when it comes to why sleep is necessary for us, but I think that the answer lies in all the different views expressed here.

I think it all depends on what you believe, which means that if you believe that you need 8 hours of sleep a day, but try to get by on 3, then you will undoubtedly have a problem. But if you are sure that you only need a couple of hours of sleep each night, then that is enough for you!
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #86950 is a reply to message #84863] Sun, 07 January 2018 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I always felt we rebuild/recuperate when we sleep.

We are physical beings, so complete rest (sleep) is necessary, regardless of whether we are talking mental or physical, since they are connected.
Re: Why Is Sleep Needed? [message #87813 is a reply to message #84863] Sat, 14 April 2018 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I think sleep is needed to keep the organism functioning efficiently and alive. Sleep-deprived people have disruptions in their biological processes. Lack of sleep is worse than stress for creating such disruptions.
Previous Topic: Charming racism
Next Topic: What's the Best Live Act You've Seen?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:06:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio