Home » Audio » General » Dusty Speakers?
Dusty Speakers? [message #84859] Fri, 31 March 2017 03:23 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
The sound in my speakers sounded slightly 'off' recently. When I started having a look they seem to have built up dust in them, which isn't helping the sound. I've cleaned it out as best I can, but how can I stop this happening without reducing the sound quality?
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84860 is a reply to message #84859] Fri, 31 March 2017 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
If you're asking how you can keep the sound quality even if the speakers collect dust, you can't. I don't know why you would want to. Keeping your stereo clean is a part of ownership.
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84865 is a reply to message #84859] Sat, 01 April 2017 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
I suppose what you're asking is how to keep the dust from collecting in the speakers in the first place? I don't know if it's at all possible to avoid this, but I would like to find out if anyone here knows a way.
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84868 is a reply to message #84865] Sat, 01 April 2017 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Dust is a problem with my electrostatics....however they came with very nice dust covers. Short of doing the same for yours I really don't see any alternative. I suppose you try using a hand held dust vac on them when you clean house...Mine actually say that is fine and I have done it from time to time.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84875 is a reply to message #84860] Mon, 03 April 2017 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Nouri wrote on Fri, 31 March 2017 12:42
If you're asking how you can keep the sound quality even if the speakers collect dust, you can't. I don't know why you would want to. Keeping your stereo clean is a part of ownership.
No, what I wanted to know is if there is a way to stop it collecting as much dust which won't compromise the sound quality. Dust covers would make it muffled.
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84878 is a reply to message #84875] Mon, 03 April 2017 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
vhfspeeks wrote on Mon, 03 April 2017 01:54
Nouri wrote on Fri, 31 March 2017 12:42
No, what I wanted to know is if there is a way to stop it collecting as much dust which won't compromise the sound quality. Dust covers would make it muffled.

Speaker covers can muffle the sound,
but they serve as good dust covers and also light impact protection.

I usually remove them for good listening.

Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84887 is a reply to message #84878] Tue, 04 April 2017 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I did not mean to imply that you leave them on when listening. That would be awful. Just use them in between times of listening. Here (Arizona) dust is a serious problem and covers are a must. For conventional speakers something simple like a table cloth or towel would be fine.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84889 is a reply to message #84859] Wed, 05 April 2017 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Where I stay, there's a lot of dust so I've made it a routine to always have the speakers with covers whenever I'm not using them. They still gather dust at times though but this can always be easily cleaned.
Re: Dusty Speakers? [message #84896 is a reply to message #84889] Wed, 05 April 2017 21:12 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I though you all might get a laugh from what Martin Logan recommends to do to the electrostatics I own when they get dusty. BTW they will crackle when that happens. They say to use a vacuum cleaner on them! I was hesitant at first as the Mylar diaphragms seem fragile...they are not and it works fine. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: No Sound At All
Next Topic: Sophie's Place / Musical Therapy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:44:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers