Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Charming racism
Charming racism [message #84805] Thu, 23 March 2017 18:58 Go to next message
Vernon is currently offline  Vernon
Baron
Have you ever heard of this term? If so what does it mean to you? I recently became aware of it and I am stumped. Did humans just invent another form of racism or was it always there?
Re: Charming racism [message #84881 is a reply to message #84805] Mon, 03 April 2017 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lark is currently offline  Lark
Baron
Nobody will touch this one with a ten foot pole... LOL. I have never heard of that term, but I would guess that it describes a situation where someone is being a racist without being outright about it.
Re: Charming racism [message #87265 is a reply to message #84805] Fri, 23 February 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Picture an old timer. Now picture him or her saying things that this generation would deem racist, yet he or she see's as just being what it is. An old timer who is naive to what we see as racism.........it's rather charming, don't you think?
Re: Charming racism [message #87304 is a reply to message #87265] Wed, 28 February 2018 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnson93 is currently offline  johnson93
Chancellor
Kingfish wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 08:07
Picture an old timer. Now picture him or her saying things that this generation would deem racist, yet he or she see's as just being what it is. An old timer who is naive to what we see as racism.........it's rather charming, don't you think?

I've never heard this term before. I have no idea what it actually means, but this sounds like a good guess, even though I wouldn't call that charming. But really, what kind of racism would qualify as "charming" anyway? Is this a phrase people actually use?
Re: Charming racism [message #87310 is a reply to message #84805] Thu, 01 March 2018 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
It's from one of Trevor Noah's comedy routines. He was talking about the racism in Kentucky, either in Louisville or Lexington, I can't quite remember which. Basically, I think he was saying that it's racism served with a smile and Southern charm (if you want to call it that).
Re: Charming racism [message #87423 is a reply to message #87310] Fri, 09 March 2018 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Reinhardt wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 00:43
I think he was saying that it's racism served with a smile and Southern charm (if you want to call it that).

Charming to the giver, but not the receiver. That sounds patronizing as all get-out. Not to mention just flat-out rude. If I were black and someone did that to me, I'd probably punch them in the face.
Re: Charming racism [message #87614 is a reply to message #87423] Thu, 29 March 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quest01 is currently offline  Quest01
Chancellor
Silver wrote on Fri, 09 March 2018 12:24

Charming to the giver, but not the receiver. That sounds patronizing as all get-out. Not to mention just flat-out rude. If I were black and someone did that to me, I'd probably punch them in the face.

I don't even know if the giver considers themselves charming. Saying intolerant/judgmental things with a smile is, in my opinion, intentionally being patronizing. I don't know if I'd punch them in the face, but I don't think I'd be able to hold my tongue.
Re: Charming racism [message #87942 is a reply to message #84805] Sun, 06 May 2018 04:33 Go to previous message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I agree with everyone who says this is a patronizing term. Anybody who says anything derogatory about anybody else and tries to pass it off as somehow "innocent" for whatever reason (like sexist "locker room" banter) - is probably more racist, sexist, fascist than most people.

Age is not an excuse - old timers are not stupid. In fact, it's quite patronizing to imply that older people can be charming racists because it's what goes in their generation.
Previous Topic: What is DC burn?
Next Topic: Why Is Sleep Needed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:37:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout