Home » Audio » Source » HELP! my counterweight broke off
HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12040] Tue, 05 April 2005 16:50 Go to next message
liz is currently offline  liz
Esquire
I recently got a turntable second hand and during the shippeng the counterwieght and the part that went through it broke off. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix it? Thanks

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12051 is a reply to message #12040] Thu, 07 April 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Perhaps a little more info? what table, arm, is it broken like something is pulled off or fell off, or is something "Snapped" off broken, or what? Based on your inquirey it sounds like you just need to put it back on. Not to be a smart ass, I just see you are getting no responses and I am sure it is from a lack of more info surrounding the nature of your problem. Please try again with more info. Otherwise, it may require a new arm, a recommendation for which would be difficult without more info.

Russellc

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12052 is a reply to message #12051] Thu, 07 April 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny how all these oddball questions start with a female name and then go nowhere. I think someone has too much time on their hands. And I don't see females anywhere else on the forum.
Silly.

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12053 is a reply to message #12052] Thu, 07 April 2005 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes, it is odd, but would hate to ignore a real request. This person is known as devilish_angel902@hotmail.com, ip address 24.153.2.69 Probably doing the footwork for some lazy boyfriend. used to run into this years ago when I sold guns. Female calls not knowing what the guy wants and you can hear him in the background prompting the poor woman what to ask. No doubt he's sitting naked in a naugahide bean bag eating cheetos.

Russellc

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12054 is a reply to message #12053] Thu, 07 April 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
liz is currently offline  liz
Esquire
lol, okay, you want info:

it is Pioneer PL-200 direct drive auto-return turntable. The part of the tone arm that broke is the part the goes through the counterweight to hold it on. It snapped off during shipping and the seller is not taking responsibility for the fact that it was their fault (they said i was SOL) because they did not remove it from the tone arm and package it seperately. And it is MY turntable, i'm just new to the them

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12055 is a reply to message #12054] Thu, 07 April 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
If it snapped and broke it has probably had it. I just looked at ebay and there were several on there, one was buy it now for around 80 bucks. I don't know what condition yours is in or what it cost, but they seem fairly plentiful, all you need is a real cheap one that doesn't have to even work, and pirate the arm. Also, you might contact "the turntable factory". I don't mean the factory it was made, I mean a turntable repair/sales/supplies type of place. I believe it is www.theturntablefactory.com, but google it if not. If anyone might have such a part laying around,it would be him. Very popular turntable repair/tuning reasonably done. Or if it could be fixed, he could probably fix it. Perhaps you have an insurance claim of some sort? or crappy packing by seller? sometimes in shipping, no matter how well packed an item can be obliterated. If ebay, they have some dispute resolution of some sort if the seller is to blame. Hopefully you had it insured? Turntables are the most damage prone component for shipping, unless very carefully packed, preferably in the original packing boxes and materials. The arm should be secured in some fashion if mounted to the table with a twisty tie so it doesn't fly all around in shipping.

Regards, Russellc

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12056 is a reply to message #12054] Thu, 07 April 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, if it broke it has probably had it, but if it could be fixed the folks at "the turntable factory" would be the ones to ask. Also, I just looked on ebay and there were several, one "buy it now" for around 80 bucks. It appears that they are plentiful, watch ebay for another one cheap, that doesnt even have to work, just to pirate the arm. again, the turntable factory may have or be able to lead you to an arm. was the packing poor? perhaps the seller is to blame. If ebay, I believe they have some dispute resolution help. Hopefully you insured it, and at least you have an insurance claim with the shipper. Sometimes, no matter how well packed an item can be destroyed. Turntables are particularly vulnerable. best bet is probably the turntable factory. I believe it is www.theturntablefactory.com but google it if not. Anyone have a dead Pl 200 out there?

Regards
Russellc

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12057 is a reply to message #12055] Thu, 07 April 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, my first message disappeared so I had to re write it, now some how I have posted both. I guess I've wasted enough bandwidth now. sorry wayne!

Russellc

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12060 is a reply to message #12053] Fri, 08 April 2005 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
It is almost impossible to find another counterweight.

Ok here's what you may want to do.

Measure the apporximate weight you need, probably around 10 ounces or so. measure the diameter of your tone arm (1/4 inch). It will be larger at the other side of the fulcrum (1/3 inch).

Go down to Home Depot or Lowes and find several big bolts which will not cost you much. Try these out. When you can get the stylus to balance just barely above the record then that is zero grams. tap a hole in the bolt (1/16 or so) and put in a set screw.

Carefully adjust the counterweight inward so that it causes the stylus to deflect 1/16 inch which should be about 2 grams. you are set.

Re: HELP! my counterweight broke off [message #12064 is a reply to message #12060] Sat, 09 April 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you mean nuts or bolts? I don't understand how these bolts are connected to the end of the tonearm. If you mean a nut, I understand, but if that end of the tonearm is broken off too close to the pivit point, there is either nothing to attach to, or not enough length for a weight of reasonable size to counterbalance the cartridge end. The turntable factory deals with these types of tables and fixes them regularly, maintaining large quantities of "donor tables" to pirate from, or so claims his web site. On the other hand, I found the same table "buy it now" on ebay (the other day when the thread started) for 79.99, and several at low current bidding. At that price, (I've paid more for platter mats) I'd just get another rather than ship it all over, again risking the demolition derby that moves packages around. Perhaps she could just send the tonearm in, which is easier to package and send than a turntable.

Regards, Russellc

Previous Topic: Tracking Force
Next Topic: Walker Valid Points and New Plastic barrier for turntable Pics.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 19:59:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio