Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » The Internet Is Going Down
The Internet Is Going Down [message #84686] Tue, 07 March 2017 02:24 Go to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
It's not, but if it was and you had only 1 hour until it did.....what would you do?

And it's never coming back up again.......ever.
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #84691 is a reply to message #84686] Tue, 07 March 2017 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I guess I wouldn't do much since if it the internet would never come back, there'd be no use trying to salvage anything. If I was given one hour, I presume I wouldn't be thinking straight and so, I'd leave it at that!
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #84707 is a reply to message #84686] Thu, 09 March 2017 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I would make a beeline for my bank and withdraw everything I have. If the internet goes down, the money goes away because every financial institution in the world is online.
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #84708 is a reply to message #84707] Thu, 09 March 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The whole design of the internet virtually prohibits its "going down."

It wasn't initially designed for what people now call the "web." It was designed to provide robust and reliable connectivity between military, scientific, research and university computers, and was initially funded and developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency in the 1960s. Its core design paradigm is redundancy and fault tolerance, and doesn't rely on any one computer or connection. Each message is broken into several packets and sent out using arbitrary connections through arbitrary computers.

You can destroy most of it and as long as there is still some connection path somewhere between the source and destination, the message will get through. Even if the message is interrupted, or parts of it mangled, systems will retry delivering the mangled packets until the entire message gets through.

It's quite robust and reliable.

Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #84727 is a reply to message #84686] Thu, 09 March 2017 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lark is currently offline  Lark
Baron
Great reply, Wayne. But you'd be surprised at the human beings ability to find new ways to destroy themselves and everything around them. Someone will find a way one day. You can bet on it!
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #84742 is a reply to message #84686] Sat, 11 March 2017 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vernon is currently offline  Vernon
Baron
If the internet were going down, there isn't much you'd be able to do but I would try to send messages to everyone I love before it did, just in case we couldn't communicate after that.
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #88198 is a reply to message #84742] Sun, 17 June 2018 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It's not going down. It's just being monetized for the large monopolies in popular entertainment content to maximize more their profit's.
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #88199 is a reply to message #84708] Sun, 17 June 2018 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, If it could and did go down then likely all forms of communication would be gone as well. However, I don't see it happening. There are days when I wish it would though. Mad

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #88267 is a reply to message #84686] Fri, 29 June 2018 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I would keep hitting the 1 and 0 buttons in no particular order for one hour straight. Code the crap out of it, you never know. If people can win multi-million dollar jackpots........
Re: The Internet Is Going Down [message #88758 is a reply to message #84727] Mon, 03 September 2018 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Lark wrote on Fri, 10 March 2017 02:13
Great reply, Wayne. But you'd be surprised at the human beings ability to find new ways to destroy themselves and everything around them. Someone will find a way one day. You can bet on it!

I'll bet you're really fun at parties. Laughing

If I only had 1 hour, I would fire up the old '75 Dodge pickup. It isn't computerized and if you have a vehicle, then you can get around in order to communicate with people.

I would also stay off the main roads for a few weeks. There would be a lot of vehicles that need a tow.

Previous Topic: Music in our Lives
Next Topic: Incompatible housemates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:07:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout