Home » Audio » Source » A plastic barrier for your turntable....
A plastic barrier for your turntable.... [message #12037] Mon, 04 April 2005 11:35 Go to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

I have often thought that putting your turntable (or any other audio component for that matter) on cones or on slabs of granite etc. was almost useless because if the sound from the speakers was making your stand/shelfs vibrate, then it was also making your component itself vibrate. So recently I had a plastic dustcover made to fit over my entire turntable. Only a small space in the back for wires to fit through. I had it custom made out of 1/4" Plexiglas. I can now play a record with the plastic dust cover over the turntable. I think this sounds slightly better than with no dustcover. Plus prevents dust from getting on the record while playing. This in my opinion is far superior to having the dustcover attached to the turntable (which I think adds vibrations). In any case it's looks real nice and I think improves the sound. As a side note there was a defect in the cover I had made and am having it remade. I decided to go with 1/2" Plexiglas this time around. Hopefully it will give even better isolation. FYI the covers I had made cost about $175.00

Re: A plastic barrier for your turntable.... [message #12038 is a reply to message #12037] Mon, 04 April 2005 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's cool! A lot of people have asked where to get dust covers for out of production models - Sounds like you have a solution for them!

Re: A plastic barrier for your turntable.... [message #12039 is a reply to message #12038] Mon, 04 April 2005 15:15 Go to previous message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just look up "plastic" in the local yellow pages.

Previous Topic: AR Turntable Pic of the Week at Vinyl Nirvana
Next Topic: Sony LX250H
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:01:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout