Home » Audio » Source » What turntable should i get?
Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12030 is a reply to message #12022] Mon, 28 March 2005 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Plan to, but being rather old school and hard headed, I have not yet aquired a digital camera! Trying to sort them out now. To get an idea of what I've been doing looks like, go to vinyle nirvana.com, click on the DIY section, anthony S. has a section. Also in their gallery are tables with the various original Merrill as well as Anthony's versions of these mods.(which as near as I can remember are vertually identical.) I never got around to doing these mods when Merrill offered them, and am excited that they are again available. While these mods cost a few bucks, I was at the point of aquiring a new table and had kind of settled on the VPI HW mk III when they quite making it! While looking around I saw these mods becoming available and decided to update my AR table. It cost considerably less than the table arm combos I was considering. Plus, I'll be keeping an old friend around in the main system. It's a viable choice if you already have an AR that you like. I don't know if I would go this direction If I didn't already have a cosmetically and mechanically excellent condition table, there are many good turntable choices at the same price give or take.
I have been taking these mods in one at a time, and will discuss them later in more detail once I get the platter to match my inner platter, which is already done. Then, the motor and power supply and I'll be done. Well, i might still shop for an additional arm for moving coils.

Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12032 is a reply to message #12030] Tue, 29 March 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Merrill was pretty big for a while and they were available and fairly common. Here's my take if you are interested.
The maxed out Merrill AR was a contender in my book; however it was pricey, If I remmember correctly it ran about 1100$ back in 1990. The same Linn was 960$
Now I see the prices are more in line on the Vinyl Nirvana site. The two Merrills I heard; one as I say was maxed and the other was inner and outer platter but no leaded outside record weight. New springs and armboard and sub-chassis; the speed motor controller. That table had a Sumiko PPT arm and sounded very nice, most competitive with all the tables in that range and actually it reminded me a little of the Linn with that kinda smooth and mellow sound, but not slow and ponderous and thick like Thorens tables.

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12033 is a reply to message #12032] Wed, 30 March 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It was in the early 90s when I had a good listen to a full on Merrill modded AR, and was very impressed, was not expecting it either quite a surprise. In the later 90's a friend of mine replaced his AR with a Linn. I purchased his AR. Have listened extensively to his Linn a swell, he had a few of the extras Linn offers, but I can't remember which ones, I'd have to go ask him. I will have, including the original cost of the table, about 1100 in this after I add the power supply and motor. Right now, between 800-900 or so. By the time I'm done, maybe 1100 or so. Dirt cheap compared to what my friend plans on spending for Linns mods. Crikey, you could buy a decent used car! Vinyle people are obsessed to be sure. By the way, I've been looking at Costa Rican destinations again, thinking of renting a house in Tamarindo (spelling?), but not until november.

Regards, Russellc

Re: P.S not dj'ing turntable just normal. nt [message #12034 is a reply to message #12033] Wed, 30 March 2005 12:57 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats right; I forgot about that. We are looking in July now. What is the real estate market doing now; have you looked at all?

Previous Topic: Just upgraded my source to older hi-fi: Museatex By Ed Meitner
Next Topic: AR Turntable Pic of the Week at Vinyl Nirvana
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 20 04:42:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout