Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Names On The Internet
Names On The Internet [message #84510] Tue, 07 February 2017 12:29 Go to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
I have been on the internet since roughly 2002 and I have noticed a change. Before, people would use fake names a lot, like when they signed up on a site. That isn't really the case anymore, yet people are talking louder than ever before about online anonymity.

What gives?
Re: Names On The Internet [message #84514 is a reply to message #84510] Wed, 08 February 2017 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I am one person that really prefers to be anonymous online so my verdict on this one is actually torn. I see a lot of fake names on the social sites and I think it is actually a 50-50 situation. People seem to be hiding their identities a lot based on what sites they are visiting.
Re: Names On The Internet [message #84533 is a reply to message #84510] Thu, 09 February 2017 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
I too think it's more about which site people visit. Personal preference plays a big part too. Personally, I don't really care if people know who I am or not. It's all good.
Re: Names On The Internet [message #85438 is a reply to message #84510] Sun, 18 June 2017 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
In my opinion, I think that if you feel the need to hide who you are, you probably should not be there anyway! I always try to use my real identity but I do change up the email addresses. I keep one just for things I'm checking out so my primary box doesn't get too much advertising.
Re: Names On The Internet [message #85446 is a reply to message #85438] Mon, 19 June 2017 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I am inclined to agree about the issue if you hide your name...you probably should not be there. I use (and have done so for over 10 years) the same user ID (gofar99) on many sites and in all my email accounts. I also sign my responses with my name so while the ID is not my name the actual name does appear. I figure that this is sort of an out growth of my amateur radio days. Everyone had a "handle". I personally don't mind if someone knows who I am. I am non-confrontational on the web. There will always be a few that are and their comments don't bother me. I have better use for my time and brain power than give them a part of it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Names On The Internet [message #85591 is a reply to message #84510] Sun, 09 July 2017 03:27 Go to previous message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I would say that hiding your online identity has to do with which specific sites are being visited. I use my real names on all my social media accounts. I also place my signature id that identifies me with my business niche, every time I am posting something somewhere.
Previous Topic: Morbid fascination
Next Topic: Anyone here know how to hotwire a car?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:59:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio