Home » Audio » General » Power cuts affecting my stuff
Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84501] Mon, 06 February 2017 20:13 Go to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
We had a series of scheduled power cuts in my area when they were busy building or fixing something - I don't know what - but now I think that they messed with my system. Is that even possible?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84506 is a reply to message #84501] Tue, 07 February 2017 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I was always told that power cuts could easily burn some components but I am not sure how true this is. What kind of system are you talking about? Has it malfunctioned completely?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84508 is a reply to message #84501] Tue, 07 February 2017 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
If the outages are scheduled, just unplug your system beforehand. Without more detail though it's hard to say if the outage affected your system or not.

Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84511 is a reply to message #84501] Wed, 08 February 2017 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Power cuts can have a nasty effect, and the surge when the power came back on could have caused damage if you don't have a surge protector on your system. What problems are you finding?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84516 is a reply to message #84511] Wed, 08 February 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What equipment seemed to be affected? Some things can be un-programmed, but most newer stuff is rather immune to problems with power failures and subsequent restoration. If you have really sensitive stuff then I would get an UPS for it. At the very least a good surge suppressor.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84518 is a reply to message #84501] Wed, 08 February 2017 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
I think that the best advice you'll find here is to get a good surge protector. It's the only way to be really protected. Even if the outages are scheduled, what if you're not around to unplug anything?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84579 is a reply to message #84518] Sun, 12 February 2017 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Cortney wrote on Wed, 08 February 2017 18:54
I think that the best advice you'll find here is to get a good surge protector. It's the only way to be really protected. Even if the outages are scheduled, what if you're not around to unplug anything?

When I bought my current TV, the dealer told me that there was no need for a surge protector. However, I couldn't take the risk. Does a warranty cover such issues?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84597 is a reply to message #84579] Fri, 17 February 2017 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
bcharlton wrote on Sun, 12 February 2017 23:49

When I bought my current TV, the dealer told me that there was no need for a surge protector. However, I couldn't take the risk. Does a warranty cover such issues?
I'd say that was a salesman who wants to make to make sure you buy another TV in a few years! If you have a full service warranty it might cover it, but warranties run out. Always use a surge protector.
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84598 is a reply to message #84501] Fri, 17 February 2017 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Ive got a foolish question, perhaps someone can help me understand.

All of my components are equipped with power (on/off) switches.
Can a power cut ruin electronics which are plugged in, but not powered on?

Or are we all assuming power cuts during use?
Re: Power cuts affecting my stuff [message #84601 is a reply to message #84501] Sat, 18 February 2017 03:23 Go to previous message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
It's not a foolish question. It depends on whether the device's power on/off switch actually cuts power to it, or just puts it in standby. Something in standby can still get fried by a power surge. A lot of smart TVs only have standby now, so they need to be off at the plug or surge-protected.
Previous Topic: The First film Shot In Stereo
Next Topic: Music In Your Budget
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:57:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout