Home » Audio » Source » Repairing scratched records
Repairing scratched records [message #84374] Sun, 22 January 2017 05:24 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
If vinyl gets damaged, scratches can ruin the listening experience. If this happens the only way I know to recover some tracks is to capture them in a computer and piece them back together, which is necessary because some of these tracks never came out on CD. Do you know any better ways to do this, or ways to repair the original records?
Re: Repairing scratched records [message #84381 is a reply to message #84374] Sun, 22 January 2017 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've always considered the safe treatment of vinyl records to be preventative rather than remedial. If the record becomes damaged, then it's "game over" to me - time to replace the disk.

So I take care of the albums I have by storing them appropriately in a temperature controlled environment, handling them properly when getting them out to play them, cleaning them properly before playing them, and only using a high-quality turntable with a good stylus set at the right tracking weight and anti-skating force.

Re: Repairing scratched records [message #84399 is a reply to message #84381] Tue, 24 January 2017 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree with Wayne on this one. However....on damaged LPs that can not be replaced I have a few. Not available at any reasonable price. I will digitalize them at 24/96 and 24/192 depending on the actual quality of the LP. I will then edit the problem and record the fixed music to a reel to reel tape (at 7.5 IPS). This is nearly as good as the original.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Repairing scratched records [message #84403 is a reply to message #84399] Wed, 25 January 2017 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Sadly, they came to me damaged. I picked up a record collection from an older navy veteran, and the records had been played onboard in rough seas. I'd rather like to recover them because they are unusual, just not in good condition.

Thanks for the advice @gofar99. It's a better way than mine.
Re: Repairing scratched records [message #84470 is a reply to message #84403] Wed, 01 February 2017 10:29 Go to previous message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Reel to reel still has practical uses, that's for sure. I would have to pay someone like GoFar to do it for me though, my skills here aren't that advanced.
Previous Topic: Colored Vinyl
Next Topic: The Crosley Cruiser II
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 07:52:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout