Home » Audio » Measurement » The best apps to measure noise levels
The best apps to measure noise levels [message #84166] Thu, 22 December 2016 23:01 Go to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Time and again, we hear of the need to avoid exposure to harmful noises that may damage the inner ear and lead to permanent or temporary hearing loss. I have heard of the TooLoud available to iPhone users. Are there any other apps that you can recommend?
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #85188 is a reply to message #84166] Wed, 10 May 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
There are quite a number of noise measurement apps on Google Play, though I've never cared to check these out. Do they really give the desired results?
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #87251 is a reply to message #84166] Tue, 20 February 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sound Meter for Android is a good one. Five million downloads, a 4.7 average rating and it is good for measuring the decible levels of the traffic around you.
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #88293 is a reply to message #84166] Mon, 02 July 2018 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
We can usually tell by instinct if a place is too noisy when our ears hurt. Earphones and headphones may pose more danger as sometimes we set the volume so high in purpose. If we can have an app to alert us of the high noise, I think that's better.
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #88568 is a reply to message #84166] Fri, 03 August 2018 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lindzz is currently offline  Lindzz
Chancellor
I used Decibel X before and it is said to be accurate, but I really don't know how accurate it is in reality. I do believe that my ears are no longer as sensitive to high volumes as they used to be...
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #88806 is a reply to message #88568] Sun, 09 September 2018 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Lindzz wrote on Fri, 03 August 2018 05:35
I do believe that my ears are no longer as sensitive to high volumes as they used to be...

That's not a good sign. Sad You might want to get them checked.

If I got a decibel app I would just use it for the curiosity factor. I know what's too loud for me.
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #89162 is a reply to message #84166] Mon, 12 November 2018 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
My wife is using the Samsung Galaxy A7. She doesn't need to download external apps because the phone will warn us when the volume is set too high. It will still be our decision whether we adjust the volume to higher or lower, but at least the phone warns us that it may damage the ear.
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #89175 is a reply to message #84166] Mon, 12 November 2018 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The problem with apps is that they rely on the phone microphone. It is not as wide band as you really need and its calibration (if any) is a joke. A cheap solution is to find a used Radio Shack sound level meter. Either the analog one or the digital one. They are reasonably accurate and a lot better than the phone. In my system I personally use a calibrated mic and feed it into a Behringer DEQ2496 or alternative into an I7 ASUS laptop with suitable software. Even then I suspect that the accuracy is still only in the 95% range.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The best apps to measure noise levels [message #89234 is a reply to message #84166] Fri, 16 November 2018 02:33 Go to previous message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Another way for us to know the noise level, without using apps or complicated gadgets, is through our neighbors. If they come and complain, then the sound is a bit noisy. If the police are at the door, then it is really noisy. Very Happy

Serious question, how do we calibrate a microphone?
Previous Topic: Measuring noise
Next Topic: Audio Measurement Mic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:20:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout