Home » Audio » Source » How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor?
How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor? [message #11938] Wed, 16 February 2005 06:39 Go to next message
igloomaster is currently offline  igloomaster
Esquire
My old '76 Sansui manual reads "Every 3 months or 200 hundred hours of play - lube the platter shaft & motor with a few drops..."

Is this excessive, not enough.... I think the last time this table was oiled was 2 years ago, and it still works great.

Re: How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor? [message #11939 is a reply to message #11938] Wed, 16 February 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Surely the manufacturer knows, and I would follow their advice. A new car will "work great" if you don't change oil for two years also, but it isn't something I would admit to doing in public. Nor will it do the car any good. Why not follow the manufacturer's advice. Sort of reminds me of an old Mark Twain quote! I constantly use my table and probably oil it 3 to 5 times a year on the shaft, probably 3 times a year on the motor. I always notice an audible improvement when the shaft is re oiled. It not only prevents bearing wear and resulting noise, it also serves as an "isolation barrier" of sorts between the subchassis/bearing, and the platter/shaft interface. ( on a belt drive table anyway)

Russellc

Re: How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor? [message #11943 is a reply to message #11939] Thu, 17 February 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audio origami is currently offline  audio origami
Esquire
hi guys
i think the oil evaporates a little over the years(and becomes thicker)
about 2 years is recomend by most manufacterers

best wishes
j7

Re: How Often Do YOU Lube platter shaft / motor? [message #11946 is a reply to message #11943] Thu, 17 February 2005 18:28 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Looking at my AR manual, and AR manuals from other models on the vinyl nirvana site, 1 year is recommended for them. I guess I'm a little over zealous, but no harm is caused by too frequently changing lubrication, contra not often enough! A quiet background requires a high quality bearing, and any wear or slop transfers directly to the platter, which transfers directly to the cartridge stylus. Your tables manufacturer recommendation was given for a reason, and while it does sound excessive, I'm certain that they recommend that for a reason, why doubt them. There is an "exclusively sansui" site forum on audio karma site perhaps someone there knows why they recommend such frequent oilings. I would otherwise default to the manufacturers recommendations over my or anyone's guess. After all, they did design it. Also, this is a 70's table and lord knows what gunk and build up are in the well. Clean it out ( lint free electonics Q tips) and refill, then follow sansui's advice. leaving it otherwise will raise your noise floor at best, as well as increasing wow and rumble. At worst, it would further damage the bearing.

Regards,
Russellc

Previous Topic: Pink Triangle LPT repair?
Next Topic: Turntale won't turn?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 14 15:36:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout