Home » Audio » General » Audio gone on laptop
Audio gone on laptop [message #84056] Sat, 10 December 2016 12:25 Go to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
The audio just stopped working on my windows 10 laptop and I don't know what could have gone wrong. Any ideas what I can try to get it back on?
Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84062 is a reply to message #84056] Sun, 11 December 2016 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check the speaker icon on the lower corner of your screen. Make sure you didn't accidentally mute it. Turn the volume up with that control and see what happens.

Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84067 is a reply to message #84062] Mon, 12 December 2016 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 11 December 2016 11:26

Check the speaker icon on the lower corner of your screen. Make sure you didn't accidentally mute it. Turn the volume up with that control and see what happens.

Definitely try that first.

If that doesn't work, and you've only just updated to Windows 10, it might be a driver issue. Run an update or google your laptop and "windows 10 drivers" to see if you can update them.

Finally, if you have external speakers try using headphones in the jack (or use the speakers on another device) to make sure the speakers are working.
Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84068 is a reply to message #84056] Mon, 12 December 2016 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I don't know what's wrong with Windows 10 since I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I checked everything and it just seemed to be a hardware problem. I gave up until last week when the sound seems to have come back on its own.
Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84080 is a reply to message #84056] Tue, 13 December 2016 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
Thanks guys. Turns out it was something to do with the audio driver. I uninstalled it and turned the laptop off, and when I turned it back on again, it was automatically re-installed. It's cool now.
Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84097 is a reply to message #84080] Tue, 13 December 2016 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, This seems to be an ever more often problem. The more Microsoft fixes things the more things that don't work. A worse issue IMO is that Microsoft installs lots of APPS than I have zero use for on a desk PC. Without telling you either. Fortunately I have two different programs that can ferret them out and I trash them. There were 26 earlier this month in a supposed update. Back to having things quit....my external sound card (twice), my mouse (once), my Ethernet card (once), my graphics program still doesn't function well on attachments to emails and once some unknown failure that caused the PC to go into safe mode. Not a great track record IMO. If I had a really unusual PC I could understand some of the problems. It is mostly typical, ASRock board with an A6 CPU, 4 GB ram, 256 SSD, Siig audio and Nvidia video all on a wired LAN. If Microsoft keeps trying to cater more to phones and tabs it may drive me to Linix. Stepping off my soap box now....

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Audio gone on laptop [message #84109 is a reply to message #84056] Wed, 14 December 2016 21:46 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
My laptop doesn't even produce sound on its own but when I use a HDMI cable, I get the sound. How can this even happen in the first place?
Previous Topic: Gift ideas
Next Topic: Which PI speakers are these?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:02:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio